Special Ops Paintball: A different kind of ammunition - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

A different kind of ammunition I'm thinking about using a different kind of paint

#31 User is offline   Airbornian 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Post icon  Posted 30 December 2008 - 01:53 PM

View Postthisissparta, on Dec 30 2008, 01:34 PM, said:

well, Airbornian, I understand your disinclination to listen to what people tell you, and I like that you're actually testing this theory, but really, a paintball and a golf ball are two very different objects.

Have you ever spun an egg? It wobbles. The fluid inside has inertia of its own, separate from the shell. It resists the net spin of the egg.

Same thing with a paintball.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but just don't get your hopes up if it doesn't work well. :P

Nate,

LOL! Don't worry. I won't be discouraged either way. I'm not doing this to prove anyone right or wrong. I just want to know what effect it will have. It's not that I'm not listening to people; conversely, it seems that people aren't hearing my question. I really want to know if anyone has actually just tried it. If not, lets do it. If someone did, I'd like to know what the results were. Heck, at least we get that information before we talk trash about equipment we've never owned, right?

Regarding the egg and fluid dynamics - you bring up a good point. What principle does the flatline or Apex operate if the flight is not affected by the spin?

The application is that the spin of the outer shell does have an effect on the flight of the paintball. This is what I'm basing my hypothesis on.

View Postmurdercrow, on Dec 30 2008, 02:06 PM, said:

But see, you're the one refusing to accept the evidence in that poorly chosen metaphor. Someone did it, tested it, blah blah blah, not just looked at the financial and production feasibility of the idea in theory, but actually made the things and they sucked. You can check the thread here and see that the discussion basically amounts to the same one being had here. People keep pushing the idea even though someone already came along and said "Hey, we did it, it doesn't work." In fact, that was the subject of the thread- Dimpled Paintballs Didn't Work (not the title). And it was STARTED by the guy who ALREADY tested it.

If that doesn't satisfy you, email Tom himself, and ask for the technical data. He's AGD there.

Murdercrow,

Thanks for the link to the discussion from the testers. This is just what I have been searching for. It was not my intention to anger the paintball gods and their disciples with proven heresy. I don't know Tom (or 'TK') but I will try and contact him if he is willing to share his experiences with dimpled paint. I'm new to this forum and just wanted to try this out and see if anyone was interested or had information. Actually, it is the sole reason why I signed up for these forums. All of the chatter regarding this topic usually end in, "sounds good in theory" with no experimentation except the single one you mention above. I still would like to play with the idea, however.

Now... how can I dimple some paintballs...?

#32 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:16 PM

View PostAirbornian, on Dec 30 2008, 01:08 PM, said:

View Post-SMITTY-, on Dec 29 2008, 04:29 PM, said:

In the early 90's (i think, could have been the 80's) they had a "sniper round" it was a normal paintball with a biodegradable cornstarch tail with fins. The round had to be muzzle loaded, 1 at a time. they were expensive and didnt work all the time

Thanks for the info, Smitty.

Do you have a picture of it or name of the manufacturer? I'm really interested in different types of paint other than the standard.

couldnt find a pic of the working model, but it was something like this. you bought the fins and stuck a normal paintball on there
Posted Image

#33 User is offline   murdercrow 

• Threadkiller Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderCrow

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:45 PM

View PostAirbornian, on Dec 30 2008, 01:53 PM, said:

Murdercrow,

Thanks for the link to the discussion from the testers. This is just what I have been searching for. It was not my intention to anger the paintball gods and their disciples with proven heresy. I don't know Tom (or 'TK') but I will try and contact him if he is willing to share his experiences with dimpled paint. I'm new to this forum and just wanted to try this out and see if anyone was interested or had information. Actually, it is the sole reason why I signed up for these forums. All of the chatter regarding this topic usually end in, "sounds good in theory" with no experimentation except the single one you mention above. I still would like to play with the idea, however.

Now... how can I dimple some paintballs...?

It's all good man. Paintball is so fun because you can mess with it. You never know, maybe with some collaboration, you and Tom can actually make it work.
Automaggot! Paintballin' Punk! "Purple Rambo over here...!"
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

#34 User is offline   scc2052 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:cummins

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:50 PM

in the military they use something like this except instead of metal bullets they are colored chalk blue pink for intstance, used for close quarters combat training and just practice walk throughs for hostage stuff

#35 User is offline   Violator 

• The Pirate King / Grammar Cop
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Violator

Posted 08 January 2009 - 06:17 PM

Chalk rounds are ancient and not used commonly in any military anymore. Google Simunition and see what we are using to train military and police forces today.
This, is my BOOMSTICK!-Ash... (395 Brownie Pts)...Where do you keep your Bucccaneers? Under Me Buckin' Hat!

Ever fire two guns whilst jumping thru the air? No. Ever fire one gun whilst jumping thru the air? No!

#36 User is offline   SFC. Connell 

• *Extreme Strategist*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SFC. Connell

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:20 AM

Heres my take. Go ahead and try it. see what happens...But take into consideration that a golf ball is bigger than a paintball, much bigger. so to make a bunch of dimples in the paintball they are going to have to be tiny. Like I said try it, and let us know. Im just not getting my hopes up. Also golf balls do curve...ever here of a hook or slice?

#37 User is offline   Wraith X 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:JUGGERNAUT

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:27 AM

hey man I saw a show that had these markers that opperated just like an m-16. It loaded into a mag with this little plastic jacket that it ejected when u fire. I don't know if that answers your question. But I hope it does.
The ONE the ONLY, Bringer of Death. JUGGERNAUT!!!

#38 User is offline   ww3sabiture 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:#1sniper kid

Posted 17 January 2009 - 03:08 PM

i have been thinking on a gun that uses shotgun wads and a rifled shotgun barrle the only issue is shotgun barrles arnt cheep and ones with rifleing are even more maby i will buy a rifled choke and load a shotgun shell with a paintball and see how that works maby one of your paintballs will work for my type of gun idea now if i could get an old SMG 60 stripper clip to test my idea of pre-loaded mags that would be grate but the dont make them any more :D

also i wont be testing speed just the acurcy of it speed can come later and i have seen one of the mini uzi things fire and have shoot it (one of the people that plays on most weekends brot it out to shoot it for fun not to use) its good idea on paper but in real life its not a good idea
Go tell the Spartans, passer-by,
That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.

http://z13.invisionfree.com/TheIronCurtain/index.php?act=idx

#39 User is offline   Rock 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 02 February 2009 - 02:07 PM

View PostWraith X, on Jan 9 2009, 09:27 AM, said:

hey man I saw a show that had these markers that opperated just like an m-16. It loaded into a mag with this little plastic jacket that it ejected when u fire. I don't know if that answers your question. But I hope it does.

i think your talking about the RAP4 ive got one of those and they are ok wind affects th paint alot more in those because they use a .43 cal paintball instead of a .68 cal and they are pretty much useless against a normal paintball guns RAP4 holds 20 rounds in a clip normal hopper holds 200

#40 User is offline   josef_k 

• WWII mod-o-holic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Josef_K

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:01 PM

View PostRock, on Feb 2 2009, 02:07 PM, said:

View PostWraith X, on Jan 9 2009, 09:27 AM, said:

i think your talking about the RAP4 ive got one of those and they are ok wind affects th paint alot more in those because they use a .43 cal paintball instead of a .68 cal and they are pretty much useless against a normal paintball guns RAP4 holds 20 rounds in a clip normal hopper holds 200

Don't forget they were designed according to the laws/standards in-effect in other countries where paintball is regulated based upon projectile kinetic energy; smaller projectile, higher velocity, same kinetic energy at the muzzle as a larger .68 paintball. When operated based upon chronographing to a calculated kinetic energy, .43 will allow much more range and provided provisions are made to accomodate the smaller splats of paint. When used [propery] based upon kinetic energy limits, .43 paintballs usually are fired at 350-400fps (rather safely too).

There are 101 types of people: those who understand binary, those who don't, and those who just can't count.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users