• You cannot reply to this topic

Semi or Pump Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   LoneScout 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Lonescout

Posted 14 August 2011 - 07:52 PM

Which marker has worked the best for you? Do you favor the pump over the semi, or vice versa? Just looking for other's opinions.

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 15 August 2011 - 02:22 AM

It is really a personal preference thing. Some like one. Some like the other. Some walk the line and do both. Kinda depends on what YOU like. I liked semi. Then tried pump and I haven't turned back in years, going on 4 years now of mainly stock class only or modified stock. Now bear in mind I suck with a semi. I have my good streaks at times. However, I'm twenty times worse with a pump. But that's why I do it. The challenge.

I'd rather work my ass off all day long and earn my one or maybe two eliminations for the day, then just get a ton of easier ones with a semi. Like I know with an SC pump and my horrible aim and horrendous hiding ability my chances are near nil of lasting to the bitter end of the game.

However, that's the fun and challenge of it all. Surviving totally outgunned. You have to play differently. Move differently. Your whole game has to change. I love that. When i finally get that elimination I'm super happy cause I know I earned that one.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 User is offline   sousey 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:HELL-FIRE

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:48 AM

View PostLegato, on 15 August 2011 - 05:22 AM, said:

It is really a personal preference thing. Some like one. Some like the other. Some walk the line and do both. Kinda depends on what YOU like. I liked semi. Then tried pump and I haven't turned back in years, going on 4 years now of mainly stock class only or modified stock. Now bear in mind I suck with a semi. I have my good streaks at times. However, I'm twenty times worse with a pump. But that's why I do it. The challenge.

I'd rather work my ass off all day long and earn my one or maybe two eliminations for the day, then just get a ton of easier ones with a semi. Like I know with an SC pump and my horrible aim and horrendous hiding ability my chances are near nil of lasting to the bitter end of the game.

However, that's the fun and challenge of it all. Surviving totally outgunned. You have to play differently. Move differently. Your whole game has to change. I love that. When i finally get that elimination I'm super happy cause I know I earned that one.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

^^^ Well Said ^^^^

I prefer pistol or mag-fed when I play with semi and also have a pump that comes out occasionally for fun however that is not for everyone. It took me few years to really commit to walking on a field with a pistol against full-auto and speedball markers. You typically don't have games where you have high elimination count but the ones that you do really stand-out.

#4 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:39 AM

Semi and pump is like driving an automatic vs. a stick shift. Some say it's easier to learn pump first, because transitioning to a semi is super easy. I however feel it's best to start off on a semi, and master the basics of paintball without having to worry about the additional challenge of running pump (the mechanics, the limited ammo, the "always being outgunned)." Don't get me wrong, I LOVE pump, and actually play better with my pump than I do semi. Pump forces you to really know your gun and setup, teaches you to aim, to take that extra split second to line up the shot (which can feel like forever in the heat of the moment), and that one well aimed shot can do a LOT more than a stream of "spray and pray." 30bps is intimidating sure, but with one shot eliminations and a bit of the sneaky-sauce I've caused "sniper paranoia" on a speedball field before. But I've been playing semi for several years before I transitioned to pump, so I had my basics mastered already (field positioning, snap shooting, working the angles, ect). If you are going to try to learn pump first, I HIGHLY recommend you find someone who already plays pump and ask him/her to show you the ropes. I went from mediocre to awesome just by playing alongside an experienced pump player and learning from him. I had an autotrigger on my pump, and he would yell at me if I was just frantically shooting at my target instead of slowing down and aiming. Pump takes practice. And patience.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#5 User is offline   Eagle Eye 

• I am Become Death, Squeegier of Worlds.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:BattleSpam

Posted 15 August 2011 - 08:44 AM

Also, for a beginner pump player, I recommend AGAINST stock class. Starting off with changing 12grams and 10 rnd tubes is going to be REALLY difficult. I started out with an Autococker pump with a regular 45/4500 air tank and 200rnd gravity hopper, since that's what I was comfortable with from playing semi. Now I've got a small air tank and a "guppy" 50rnd hopper, and I'm about to get myself a true Stock Class.
Posted Image
Posted Image
The Paintball Sniper has already done the first step: convince you they don't exist.
Allied Superior Meritorious Service Medal recipient: D-Day 2008
"There is no "fixing" a Tippmann ... if it didn't work, there is only one reason .... you tried to clean it. Any problem a Tippmann has can be easily fixed by adding more dirt, preferably to the internals, followed by 3 drops of oil." -- Acara

#6 User is offline   Riddler 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:33 AM

Variety is win in my book. I own... umm... 4 pumps and 5 semis at the moment, though 2 of the semis are currently for sale, and I sold 2 more semis this past weekend. I also have 1 more pump and 1 more semi on order. I think I'm done with electros for a while... I just have more fun with other markers. If anything, I'll pick up an inexpensive one (perhaps another Freestyle), have it anodized by a buddy, and toss it in the closet for when I am feeling lazy.

But yeah, do what's fun. Personal preference is everything - people seem to forget that it's just a hobby.

#7 User is offline   waldtoftheGreen 

• The King in the North
  • Pip

Posted 15 August 2011 - 12:46 PM

View PostLegato, on 15 August 2011 - 03:22 AM, said:

Exactly. Playing pump is what I prefer over anything else. More challenge and more fun.
SWEDISH GERMAN NORWEGIAN DANISH
"Give me honorable enemies rather than ambitious ones, and I'll sleep more easily by night."
"The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword"

#8 User is offline   The Ghost 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:21st Recon

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

I started with a pump to work on accuracy...but to each their own. I know have a semi auto.
"Two lines you don't cross with me, Vertical and Horizontal"

Lead Sniper of 21st Recon

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users