Special Ops Paintball: What happened to the pump market? - Special Ops Paintball

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What happened to the pump market? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• Closed bolt. Rock n cock, or rock n roll.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:flyweightnate

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

I've been trying to sell pumps, but it feels like the floor dropped out on the market! A month and a half ago, Phantoms were hitting 280 for a VSC, now mine won't sell at 200, and neither will my Sterling...

Does everyone want a Pyre that badly, or is it Mini Comps/ Mini Buzzards, or what? Why the sudden lack of interest in used pumps?

Or, is there some new pump I've not heard of?
Feedback.
"Listen to nate hes always right, no joke"- Mighty Mike

#2 User is offline   xkpxfattyxx 

• Say WHAT?!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:56 PM

It's a time of recession. Most people are broke at the moment.

#3 User is offline   Weber 

• made of 100% recycled electrons!
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:GORGOR

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:24 PM

well trey is no longer a whore due to sponsherships and what not so there is the main problem, also there was a new pump, the peace maker it knocked off 4 people from buying things for a while.

Boulder & Chicken?

#4 User is offline   JKLNHYD 

• OG Newb...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

View Postxkpxfattyxx, on Apr 26 2008, 08:56 PM, said:

It's a time of recession. Most people are broke at the moment.

That is true.

I myself am looking to downgrade as far as ROF is concerned and pumps are looking good right now. But, at $200+, it is difficult to count on cash coming in these days.
My senior member list, Pm me if you think you should be on it. PUZUMA Tyler MurderDeathKill Animal Mother BlackOpsghost Evil Finger Uwannago Weapso Tyger Dr. Wiggy The Stuntman Cops911 Riddick Twistedpsyche Custom Cowboy CamoDeafie Redleg64 ClumsyNinja DigitalPirate Slinkyaroo The Dirty Samurai Neo Enhander AirHOg shadow 772 LONGBOW deltapaintball Styro shadowlord Gunslinger7 Enders War Prodigy evillepaintball Deus Wolf Rifleman ghost93 luke-inator
My New Homie List. PM me
agentM192 nos4atu florentine PhantomAssassin thebostinian T-Freak Ka1iBuR StealingYerMail Not You
My Profile Friend's List, who wants on?
"Calm you down? Done. Enjoy your vacation."- PuzumaClick the link

#5 User is offline   WardenWolf 

• Aspie Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:WardenWolf

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:33 PM

The Pyre did a lot of it. There's suddenly a new "ultimate pump" on the market that everyone's saving for. And Phantoms have been due for a crash for a long time. They're too common. They never were the best Nelson pump. They're just one of the only ones still around after all these years. You look at some of the older Bushmasters and the Lapco pumps and you realize that the Phantom wasn't the best. It's just what was left.

Kanye: "Yo, Chile, I'm gonna let you finish shakin', but I just got to say Haiti had one of the best earthquakes of all time!"
Save a tree: wipe your ass with a hippie!

#6 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:40 PM

the biggest problem is that so many kids bought into pump, thinking they'd be gods cause that's all kids brag on the forums that they are. They go out there, play once, get PWNED hard, and quit. Sell their phantom (cause that's usually what they bought, hence their major drop in resale) and pick their ion back up and slam the hell out of pump cause it "sucks". It is getting annoying, and has been going on for a while now.

But add that to what KP said, we are all broke. I used to be a whore, now i am lucky to put food on the table, never mind buy markers on a whim. It just sucks all around.

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#7 User is offline   JKLNHYD 

• OG Newb...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

View PostLegato, on Apr 26 2008, 09:40 PM, said:

the biggest problem is that so many kids bought into pump, thinking they'd be gods cause that's all kids brag on the forums that they are. They go out there, play once, get PWNED hard, and quit. Sell their phantom (cause that's usually what they bought, hence their major drop in resale) and pick their ion back up and slam the hell out of pump cause it "sucks". It is getting annoying, and has been going on for a while now.

But add that to what KP said, we are all broke. I used to be a whore, now i am lucky to put food on the table, never mind buy markers on a whim. It just sucks all around.

What I find is the new reality? Suck at low ROF, and have a great, inexpensive time more often, or rule every other month.

(crap, I can't even afford my 3 last dots at the end)
My senior member list, Pm me if you think you should be on it. PUZUMA Tyler MurderDeathKill Animal Mother BlackOpsghost Evil Finger Uwannago Weapso Tyger Dr. Wiggy The Stuntman Cops911 Riddick Twistedpsyche Custom Cowboy CamoDeafie Redleg64 ClumsyNinja DigitalPirate Slinkyaroo The Dirty Samurai Neo Enhander AirHOg shadow 772 LONGBOW deltapaintball Styro shadowlord Gunslinger7 Enders War Prodigy evillepaintball Deus Wolf Rifleman ghost93 luke-inator
My New Homie List. PM me
agentM192 nos4atu florentine PhantomAssassin thebostinian T-Freak Ka1iBuR StealingYerMail Not You
My Profile Friend's List, who wants on?
"Calm you down? Done. Enjoy your vacation."- PuzumaClick the link

#8 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:14 PM

ROFL. Yeah, i can barely afford to put food on the table and pay my bills, nevermind $25 for entry, plus $10-20 for paint. It kills me, cause i see so many good deals that i cannot afford, and i'm like dying i want them so bad. On a side note, if anyone wants a Custom Raw Bodied Sniper....come see me. :panzer:
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#9 User is offline   dougdeb 

• ________
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:KWEIMATHA

Posted 27 April 2008 - 12:57 AM

I've got to agree. With the downturn in everyone's finances and the cost of playing, just not much of a market for anything used; pump, mech, or electric. I've seen a number of them being bumped repeatedly on the B/S/T. Plus with not as much money to spend, people are being more picky. Six/eight months ago, I'd been all over yours, Stolz, and a couple others. Now, the wife and I have to be more selective. (We've got too many already. :dodgy: If that's possible.) Plus Legato is right. Too many young kids buying into the pump and then giving it up too quick. Markets flooded and the usual buyers are getting too poor.
I love my Phantom and I have no intention of saving for a Pyre (too ugly) and I don't like the way MiniComps feel. :) I'm happy. Sorry, can't help you out. :(

Aloha, Doug

... (the Army pays for my dots. :dodgy: :dodgy: )
If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions,
you have failed as a paintballer.

#10 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:20 AM

Hmm, yeah. Oh well... figures when everyone is selling, so am I, and when everyone is buying, so am I.

Now, another question... is the Pyre really THAT good? And why has no one retained the bore drop pump design? I had a Line SI Bushmaster for a very short time (traded for a Phantom VSC, cuz I already had 2 open-classers) and the bolt design seems infinitely better... too bad the hammer kinked up so easily. I mean, if there is no real detriment to a bore drop other than overall length and ease of machining, I might be doing some custom work anyways, and I feel like a bore-drop Phantom, and a bore-drop strokered Phantom might be in order. Ugh, for the need of a summer job... I actually got laid off from a summer job haha. Housing market collapsed, and so did remodeling jobs.
Feedback.

#11 User is offline   xkpxfattyxx 

• Say WHAT?!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2008 - 07:31 AM

PPS makes top notch things. Top notch. It supposedly has the nicest pump stroke out there if you're into that. It's open class, or you can put a stroke feed tube and make it stock class. Built in stab which is great because stabs are the "best" regs out there. Brass barrel is always a plus, it's nice and smooth. Etc...

#12 User is offline   flyweightnate 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:34 AM

Yeah, I've definitely looked at the Pyre quite a bit... people compare it to an old Sterling, with a regulator, which just sounds great to me. Wish they'd make a stocker-tubed version, without the Stabilizer hanging off the side... I like my guns thin.
Feedback.

#13 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:44 AM

The pump market got to be the smallest PB market out there. Smaller than Walmart selection market. It really could only take so much. I think it had some growth from the senior guys buying them up as novelties to change up their game. I bought 2 this year and a PM8. Go figure.

Really it's not a strong newbie marker.

#14 User is offline   The Last Man 

• Pumper
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PUMPAH

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:45 AM

View PostWardenWolf, on Apr 27 2008, 12:33 AM, said:

The Pyre did a lot of it. There's suddenly a new "ultimate pump" on the market that everyone's saving for. And Phantoms have been due for a crash for a long time. They're too common. They never were the best Nelson pump. They're just one of the only ones still around after all these years. You look at some of the older Bushmasters and the Lapco pumps and you realize that the Phantom wasn't the best. It's just what was left.

Not to insult you, but I disagree. Yes the phantom is not the best pump out there (its up there though). However its like the Tippmann of the pumpers. And you said that they are due for a crash. However you have to realize that the Peacemaker (which everyone is saving up for) is just really TWO phantoms. So I think Mike Casady is going to be having plenty of business supplying KPCS with the material, even though he won't be directly selling it, he will still be in business. And besides, for the price, this "ultimate pump" still can't beat the phantom (which is why they are so common). I'm not selling my Lady yet.
Official Pump Owner 79
If the person on the other end of your gun does not walk away from the game eagerly anticipating the next game because of your actions,
you have failed as a paintballer. Put this in your sig to help spread the word.

#15 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2008 - 09:10 AM

I don't think it's the Pyre really.

The entire paintball market is hurting right now. Fears of economic recession are everywhere and keeping people from buying much for their hobbies.

Now, the pump market is far smaller than just the paintball market. It's not doing well for the same reasons, but it seems far worse because of the already smaller market for them.

Pump paintball is losing players (or at least, maintaining the same number). As Legato said, many new players get into it, try it once, then sell their gear disappointed that the gun didn't make the player. The majority of the pump community already has a phantom because they are pretty common as far as pumps go. As such, phantom resales aren't too great just like how Tippmann resales are horrible in the general paintball market.
Member of Team Akkadian

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users