• This topic is locked

Mountaineering anybody else do it?

#1 User is offline   ck_stalefish 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:ck_stalefish

Posted 27 August 2009 - 10:12 PM

Seriously considering getting into it, instead of spending all my money on paintball. (Paintball just doesn't pose much of a challenge, thus no feeling of accomplishment). But this, this looks like my cup of tea. May save money to take my first course this winter in the San Juans, just to get a feel for it.
"The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
T.E. Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

#2 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:platinum marksman

Posted 27 August 2009 - 11:05 PM

View Postck_stalefish, on Aug 27 2009, 11:12 PM, said:

Seriously considering getting into it, instead of spending all my money on paintball. (Paintball just doesn't pose much of a challenge, thus no feeling of accomplishment). But this, this looks like my cup of tea. May save money to take my first course this winter in the San Juans, just to get a feel for it.

Not down playing you or anything, but i seriously suggest you start out somewhere else besides the San Juans in the middle of winter. Having lived in those mountains all my life I can tell you that its no picnic. If you do, make sure you have a knowlegeable guide. I seriously suggest starting out in the summer though. you couldnt have picked a more beautiful range of mountains though. I love the San Juans and would kill to get a chance to climb them.
It is definietly a challenge but you'll fall in love with it. Be safe. If it doesn't feel right or safe don't do it. You can always try again next time. And remember, reaching the top isnt finishing, its only half way. PM if you have other questions.

Lead, and if necessary, use words.

#3 User is offline   ck_stalefish 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 28 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

View Postplatinum marksman, on Aug 28 2009, 12:05 AM, said:

Not down playing you or anything, but i seriously suggest you start out somewhere else besides the San Juans in the middle of winter. Having lived in those mountains all my life I can tell you that its no picnic. If you do, make sure you have a knowlegeable guide. I seriously suggest starting out in the summer though. you couldnt have picked a more beautiful range of mountains though. I love the San Juans and would kill to get a chance to climb them.
It is definietly a challenge but you'll fall in love with it. Be safe. If it doesn't feel right or safe don't do it. You can always try again next time. And remember, reaching the top isnt finishing, its only half way. PM if you have other questions.

I live only about an hour and a half away from the range, and have hiked fourteeners more than once. And I know I have little experience mountaineering in winter, hence the class.

http://www.mtnguide.net/trips_courses/alpi...ing_intro.shtml

That's who I plan on taking it with, and one of my parent's friends has experience with them and he was very pleased. The only thing I can't get over is the expense, but I really have nowhere else to go as a beginner.
"The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."

#4 User is offline   platinum marksman 

• paintballer
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:platinum marksman

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:40 PM

View Postck_stalefish, on Aug 28 2009, 02:30 PM, said:

View Postplatinum marksman, on Aug 28 2009, 12:05 AM, said:

I live only about an hour and a half away from the range, and have hiked fourteeners more than once. And I know I have little experience mountaineering in winter, hence the class.

http://www.mtnguide.net/trips_courses/alpi...ing_intro.shtml

That's who I plan on taking it with, and one of my parent's friends has experience with them and he was very pleased. The only thing I can't get over is the expense, but I really have nowhere else to go as a beginner.

Glad to hear it. Which range are you close to? Dont skimp on the gear though bro. its worth it. I've backpacked through the San Juans (Silverton and Lake City area) in the summer. Good gear is worth it. Props to ya bro. Have fun.

Lead, and if necessary, use words.

#5 User is offline   knitemare 

• Baller for Christ, the real sin savior
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:knitemare

Posted 29 August 2009 - 06:12 PM

i think you sould start with bouldering to get a taste for it, its just climbing around on big rocks but it involves a lot of the same muscle groups adn its normally high up in the mountains so you get to hike up there first, its also alot of fun, even of your guide is laughing hysterically casue you get yourself stuck in the "birth canal", but it was worth it
I am a Christian Baller
ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!!

Addicted To Facebook Member #1

#6 User is offline   ck_stalefish 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

View Postknitemare, on Aug 29 2009, 07:12 PM, said:

i think you sould start with bouldering to get a taste for it, its just climbing around on big rocks but it involves a lot of the same muscle groups adn its normally high up in the mountains so you get to hike up there first, its also alot of fun, even of your guide is laughing hysterically casue you get yourself stuck in the "birth canal", but it was worth it

Just curious, but in what ways are they similiar? And again, the elevation thing is really not a big deal for me, I spent 4 days out of every week this summer above 10,000 feet, and regular day hikes are a slice of pie for me.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users