• You cannot reply to this topic

My first knife hand forged Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   jolly giant 

• d(-_-)b
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:jolly giant

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:03 AM

Alrighty so this is my first knife, i was initially planning on black walnut scales but it didnt work out, so i decided cord wrapped. i used twine because i was bored between coats of varnish on my fathers day project, i plan on replacing the twine with paracord but keeping the same design. it was a fun project, i plan on making more and will use this thread to keep you guys updated.

Attached File(s)

#2 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:06 AM

Was this a school project or something you did "just because"?

I've never made a knife so I can't comment on the skill but I'm not keen on the looks of it. Kind of reminds me of a soup spoon for some reason.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#3 Guest_Cesar_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:09 AM

how well does it cut?

#4 User is offline   jolly giant 

• d(-_-)b
  • PipPip

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:10 AM

No it was just because i have my own forge and such that i made, i love knives and had an interest in smithing for a long time so i figured i would give it a try and love it.
Plus it was my first knife ill be getting better at making them, ive got 3 others in the works and hope to make a hidden tang knife and a knife or maybe one with proper scales.

This post has been edited by jolly giant: 23 June 2009 - 11:12 AM

#5 User is offline   MaDuce 

• Grab your gun and bring the cat in.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MaDuce

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

For a first try that certainly doesn't look too bad.

Much better than anything I could forge.
"Its very hard to grasp the idea at first but once you accept it, it makes A LOT of sense!" -- Minnesota Sn1p3r on conspiracy theories
"Everyone instantly jumps the conclusion that the government is out to get us." -- SWAT SAINT
"Bad Duce, bad." -- Ace-014
"Good man, Duce, good man." -- Tryon
"Also accepting female snipers." -- Lt.Col.Vortex

#6 User is offline   BAGELS 

• good stuff^
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I3agels

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:35 AM

What kind of steel is that? When you get better, you can have the privilege of making me a kukri machete. :P I had to dispose of my old one. :mellow:

This post has been edited by BAGELS: 23 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

THE INVISI-SIG!
I have no sig, because I am cool like that.
I love my phantom, because it is cool like that....schweet

#7 User is offline   jolly giant 

• d(-_-)b
  • PipPip

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:43 AM

Alright so it cuts rather well, but its only medium carbon steel so it wont hold a scary sharp edge for long. And bagels, i own a machete Khukri but my forge isnt large enough to heat treat a machete khukri, i can forge and heat treat a normal khukri which i do plan on doing though :P

#8 User is offline   thisissparta 

• Tonight, We Dine In Heck!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:thisissparta

Posted 23 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

Very nice. Beats my Ghetto-Tana, made out of a piece of 1.5" x 1/16" x 4' steel bar, sharpened on an angle grinder and then an Arkansas stone, wrapped with paracord and with a JB-welded tsuba. :P
The Spartan Armory: 98 Custom, Spyder e99 Avant, Tippmann A5, PMI-1, Splatmaster, SL-68 II, Classic Mag, Nel-Spot 007, WGP Sniper II (~95), DM5, SL-68II, Dye Reflex, Sideline Duckslide, Pro-Carbine, Piranha LB, Splatmaster, PG convert, Tippmann Pro-Lite, K-Framed Palmer's Paladin, T8 with TRG and milling work, SA-8, Gargantom, Custom Cocker
Feedback: SO Forum (+13/-0) MCB: (+24/-0) I love Kaesie. Fact: I am a ninja.

#9 User is offline   LoD 

• Lord of Death
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:LoD

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:13 PM

View PostPuzuma, on Jun 23 2009, 12:06 PM, said:

I've never made a knife so I can't comment on the skill but I'm not keen on the looks of it. Kind of reminds me of a soup spoon for some reason.

I've never heard of a school letting you make a knife in shop? Are schools in Canada way more laxed?

I made a knife once when I took my blacksmithing class. It was like a really bad butter knife. It was sweet.

My Feedback Thread
"I look at it as an opportunity to bloody up the hammer some more. Especially now since I replaced the leather wrap and it needs to be worked in." - Puzuma

#10 User is offline   Puzuma 

• That is not dead which can eternal lie,
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators
  • Brigade Name:Puzuma

Posted 23 June 2009 - 12:37 PM

View PostLoD, on Jun 23 2009, 03:13 PM, said:

View PostPuzuma, on Jun 23 2009, 12:06 PM, said:

I've never heard of a school letting you make a knife in shop? Are schools in Canada way more laxed?

I made a knife once when I took my blacksmithing class. It was like a really bad butter knife. It was sweet.

Generally no. But Alberta is the "wild west" so who knows what classes they have in high school. Hell, he could be taking a class outside of school too.
Posted Image
That is not dead which can eternal lie,And with strange aeons even death may die.

#11 User is offline   BAGELS 

• good stuff^
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:I3agels

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:47 PM

View Postjolly giant, on Jun 23 2009, 09:43 PM, said:

Alright so it cuts rather well, but its only medium carbon steel so it wont hold a scary sharp edge for long. And bagels, i own a machete Khukri but my forge isnt large enough to heat treat a machete khukri, i can forge and heat treat a normal khukri which i do plan on doing though :laugh:

I really want a new 4-5 inch drop blade hunting knife made out of s30v or similar steel. *hint*hint*
What does it take to make a forge? I have always been interested in making knives. I actually made a throwing knife out of an old saw-zall blade the other day. It works nice, but the steel is too springy. Pictars of the forge?

THE INVISI-SIG!
I have no sig, because I am cool like that.
I love my phantom, because it is cool like that....schweet

#12 User is offline   Volker 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:57 PM

That's pretty awesome.

Could you type up a summarized version of the procedure for making a knife?

#13 User is offline   Dib 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dib

Posted 23 June 2009 - 10:11 PM

Very nice! :ninja: Are you useing coal or charcoal? Was that recycled steel or stock? Looks a lot better than my railroad spike knife I recently made. Probably holds a better edge also.
If he rips my arms off, I'll kick him to death.
If he rips my legs off, I'll bite him to death.
If he rips my head off, I'll stare him to death.
And if he gouges my eyes out, I'll curse him from beyond the grave.

#14 User is offline   thrilla gorilla 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:LITTLE IRISHMAN

Posted 24 June 2009 - 01:06 AM

im in to making knives as well. if you would like a have some links to some intresting steel like this. its called damascus.
Posted Image

and yes i support balisongs and baliswingers. and no i will not argue about thier legal status
my sig is gone and i have no idea why.????? feel like this is bs. no reason why to do that to me. real mature

#15 User is offline   jolly giant 

• d(-_-)b
  • PipPip

Posted 24 June 2009 - 10:53 PM

Alright to start it is very simple to start into forging, anyone who is interested will find tonnes of resources, look on purgatoryironworks.com and he also has a youtube channel.
Im using to coal, it works alot better than charcoal and doesnt burn away as fast.
Bagels thats pretty wicked actually if you do get into forging just let me know i want to follow this :rolleyes:. i actually made a throwing star recently as well, but that is another story i can post pictures of my forge as well, but i will do that a bit later.

The knife was recycled steel we were scrapping our tiller so i salvaged a bunch of steel from it :dodgy:.
And Thrilla gorilla i know all about damascus(pattern welded steel being the proper term) i plan on making some in the near future after practicing my forge welding a bit more, if you wanna see some real neat damascus lood up powder damascus that stuff is cool.

EDIT: on the school thing, my teacher helped me out alot, but no i would not be able to make a knife. it was actually a hassle for me to bring in my own wood lathe tools especially my hand made one for hollowing, we may be the west but its not that wild :P

This post has been edited by jolly giant: 24 June 2009 - 11:13 PM

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users