• You cannot reply to this topic

McCain what you like or dislikes, explain. Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   -SMITTY- 

• one of the original 27,731 members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:-SMITTY-

Posted 29 October 2008 - 04:17 PM

I'm all for McCain. I like his attitude and his policies. He has a more realistic way of doing things than Obama does

#17 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:42 PM

Even Obama said that it would take him atleast 12 monthes (or was it more?)

McCain wants to stay in Iraq past those 12 months. In fact, he was talking about withdrawal around maybe 2013. He keeps sighting "South Korea" and "Germany" as examples, which in my mind, shows a clear ignorance of the progress that has been made in Iraq. American soldiers weren't being killed on a daily basis five years after "Mission Accomplished" had been declared.

Any president who is not willing to go to war is to weak to be president. I don't another war, but we must leave the option on the table. Also, Obama plans t move troops to Afghanistan

Fight a two front war, fine. Fighting a three front war, especially against this type of insurgency, can't be won. If you fight Iran, you'll end up with an occupation there was well. Then you'll have to go off and fight another country like Syria, and then another country like Pakistan, and then another country like Saudi Arabia.

Palin has just as much, if not a bit more, experience as Obama.

Palin has been the mayor of a small town of roughly 5,000 when the 2000 census was done. (She then left in 2002). She has also been the Governor of Alaska for under two years. Remind me how exactly this is "Just as much" experience as Obama does?

Thomas Edison flunked out of high school. And I had no idea that Palin went to the naval academy.

I was referring to how she did in her education.

Thomas Edison was an inventor who made the lightbulb, not the President of the United States.

Better than Obama's "inflate your tires" plan.

Right. Because funding alternative energy to create new jobs, increasing fuel economy by four percent, per year, cracking down on energy speculation which drives up the price of oil, and controlling the excessive profits by big oil is an "inflate your tires" plan.

So what? Under the geneva convintion we don't have to give terrorist anything, yet we give them the things we would give POWs.

First of all, it's Geneva Convention.

Second of all, have you actually read the Geneva Convention?

From the Third Convention, Article 5:
Should any doubt arise as to whether persons, having committed a belligerent act and having fallen into the hands of the enemy, belong to any of the categories enumerated in Article 4, such persons shall enjoy the protection of the present Convention until such time as their status has been determined by a competent tribunal.

When exactly has a competent tribunal taken place? Short answer: It hasn't. Until you can determine what side they're on, or if they are on, they're protected by the Geneva Convention.

However, this is besides the point. The point I am making is that John McCain claims he wants to stop torture, then removes the ability for anyone to actually have oversight to see if torture is occurring.

In fact, there is a brilliant quote on this:

"Every person in enemy hands must have some status under international law: he is either a prisoner of war and, as such, covered by the Third Convention, a civilian covered by the Fourth Convention, or again, a member of the medical personnel of the armed forces who is covered by the First Convention. There is no intermediate status; nobody in enemy hands can be outside the law."

Argued in above post.

From CNN, "Since 1993, McCain has had four skin cancers removed. McCain's biggest health scare came in December 2000, when he was found to have a Stage 2 melanoma on his left cheek. The cancer was about as wide as a dime and a little thicker than a nickel. By today's standards, his surgeons took an extremely aggressive approach, removing more than 30 lymph nodes even though a test showed the cancer had not spread. McCain's surgeon, Dr. Michael Hinni, said they simply wanted to err on the side of caution."
Perls' greater concern is mental sharpness. "While we have some data about [McCain's] cholesterol and some other physical exam features, we don't really have good testing of his brain," said Perls. Studies based on census data show that by age 79, one in six Americans is suffering from cognitive decline, and that each year 12 percent of that group progress to full-blown dementia.

http://www.cnn.com/2....mccain.health/

#18 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:48 PM

Fine, they're prisoners of war. Keep them confined until the conflict ends.
Alea iacta est ~ The board is set, the pieces are moving.
~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#19 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:51 PM

View PostAshrak, on Oct 29 2008, 05:48 PM, said:

Fine, they're prisoners of war. Keep them confined until the conflict ends.

Then you have to treat them humanely and without anything that would defy their dignity.

#20 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:53 PM

Works for me.

Unless they're someone like Khalid Sheik Muhammed.

This post has been edited by Ashrak: 29 October 2008 - 05:54 PM

~ Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green, That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown, That host on the morrow lay withered and strown. ~ Destruction of Sennacherib

~ Believe me, dear Sir: there is not in the American states a man who more cordially loves a union with his country than I do. But, by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the United States Congress proposes; and in this, I think I speak the sentiments of America. ~ Thomas Jefferson (modernized)
Summertime Blues

#21 User is offline   ck_stalefish 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:ck_stalefish

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:48 PM

View PostDeus Ex Machina, on Oct 29 2008, 06:42 PM, said:

Palin has just as much, if not a bit more, experience as Obama.

Palin has been the mayor of a small town of roughly 5,000 when the 2000 census was done. (She then left in 2002). She has also been the Governor of Alaska for under two years. Remind me how exactly this is "Just as much" experience as Obama does?

umm... Obama was community organzier for a few years, so he was in charge of much less than Sarah Palin was when she was mayor. Now he has been a senator for 4 years. well, not really, he's spent two of those years running for president, which of course is great training for the actual job! and we're even comparing a person who's running for president to a person who's running for VICE president. try comparing Obama to McCain in terms of experience.

as far as mccain himelf goes, he wasn't my first choice. I would have rather seen Mitt Romney or Fred Thompson be running for president right now, or both on the same ticket.

This post has been edited by ck_stalefish: 29 October 2008 - 08:49 PM

"The dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible."
T.E. Lawrence, The Seven Pillars of Wisdom

#22 User is offline   Frontier_Bill 

• Every day is a Saturday!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Frontier Bill

Posted 29 October 2008 - 08:50 PM

I would rather watch a video of both candidates getting drunk and playing beer pong together.

Team Rogue Cell #10 Founder and Alpha squad leader.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.

#23 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:10 PM

View Postck_stalefish, on Oct 29 2008, 08:48 PM, said:

umm... Obama was community organzier for a few years, so he was in charge of much less than Sarah Palin was when she was mayor. Now he has been a senator for 4 years. well, not really, he's spent two of those years running for president, which of course is great training for the actual job! and we're even comparing a person who's running for president to a person who's running for VICE president. try comparing Obama to McCain in terms of experience.

as far as mccain himelf goes, he wasn't my first choice. I would have rather seen Mitt Romney or Fred Thompson be running for president right now, or both on the same ticket.

You forget being in the Illinois Senate since 1997, and teaching Constitutional Law since 1992.

Sure, he doesn't have as much legislative experience as John McCain does. However, Joe Biden has more experience in the Senate than John McCain does by a long shot, which is exactly how I want it. Barack Obama has the vision, the voice, and the intelligence that America needs right now, and Joe Biden has the legislative experience and know-how to supplement Barack Obama's abilities. They're a perfect pair, one utilizing the skills the other has.

John McCain on the other hand, has the legislative experience with a vision of continuing the same thing we've endured these past eight years, and Sarah Palin doesn't have any of the experience to back him up when he needs it. They clash, one being the old, feeble guard that can't speak to his own defense, and the other, thinks in terms of "like every American Iím speaking with were ill about this position that we have been put in...".

#24 User is offline   Digital Pirate 

• Commonwealth Expeditionary Force
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:DigitalPirate

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

And they're fighting with each other too.

#25 User is offline   Sticky Bandit 

• You can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man
  • PipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:18 PM

I dislike that McCain is going to lose.

#26 User is offline   Ashrak 

• Precipice
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:49 PM

View PostDigitalPirate, on Oct 30 2008, 12:14 AM, said:

And they're fighting with each other too.

Place your bets, right here, right now!

Do I hear $20 on The Old White Guy, we've got $50 on the Moose Hunter!

Summertime Blues

#27 User is offline   Frontier_Bill 

• Every day is a Saturday!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Frontier Bill

Posted 29 October 2008 - 10:41 PM

$20 for a liter of vodka! Oh wait. That was my wager. Nevermind.. carry on folks. I will observe from my inebriation.

Team Rogue Cell #10 Founder and Alpha squad leader.

Danger: Reading online forums may cause irreparable damage to your faith in Humanity.

#28 User is online   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 October 2008 - 06:26 AM

View PostDeus Ex Machina, on Oct 30 2008, 12:10 AM, said:

Barack Obama has the vision, the voice, and the intelligence that America needs right now,

Really? That's speculation and not a fact. I can use that exact quote and substitute McCain's name.

This post has been edited by slinkyaroo: 30 October 2008 - 07:11 AM

#29 User is offline   Deus Ex Machina 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:13 AM

View Postslinkyaroo, on Oct 30 2008, 06:26 AM, said:

Barack Obama has the vision, the voice, and the intelligence that America needs right now,

Really? That's speculation and not a fact. I can use that exact quote and substitute McCain's name.

It's called "Opinion".

See, you'll notice the topic is about our likes and dislikes. I like the way Barack Obama and Joe Biden are set up. I dislike the way John McCain and Sarah Palin are set up. Ergo, I will illustrate why I like the way Obama/Biden are, and dislike why McCain/Palin are.

Show me exactly where I claimed it to be fact, and you might have a point.

#30 User is online   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 30 October 2008 - 08:49 AM

View PostDeus Ex Machina, on Oct 30 2008, 11:13 AM, said:

View Postslinkyaroo, on Oct 30 2008, 06:26 AM, said:

It's called "Opinion".

See, you'll notice the topic is about our likes and dislikes. I like the way Barack Obama and Joe Biden are set up. I dislike the way John McCain and Sarah Palin are set up. Ergo, I will illustrate why I like the way Obama/Biden are, and dislike why McCain/Palin are.

Show me exactly where I claimed it to be fact, and you might have a point.

You use the term "has" - this is ownership. Not that he "may have" or "I think he has". The statement is an absolute.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users