Special Ops Paintball: SpecialOps A5a2 Kit Review - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

SpecialOps A5a2 Kit Review As indepth as I can make it.

#1 User is offline   Tippmann-Sniper 

• "..you can't fight the shadows.."
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Tippmann-Sniper

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:58 PM

SpecialOps A5a2 Kit:

I finally took my new A5a2 out yesterday during a big game near Greenville and have decided to write a little reveiw on it. So here it goes....

First Impression:
When I first opened the the black box from specialops.com, my first thought was, "Huh, thats not very much stuff." Once I got everything out and saw what each piece does and where it will be installed I realized that you don't need any more parts than just a few. Which, in my opinion, is better than being sent fifty different parts and having to figure out where each of them goes and what they do. So, having just the few parts you get in this kit is very practical and decreases the time of installation. Also, when I first pick up the stock, it seems much heavier than I thought it would be. For me, I'm glad it has some added weight to it, which also helps out your marker's balance.

Installation:
Installation wasn't very difficult and only took about 20-30 minutes. You WILL have to drill a small hole in the left side of your reciever where the tombstone enters into the powertube, but as long as you have someone qualified to help you if you, yourself are not qualified, it won't be all that much of a problem. Once the hole is drilled you just use a dremmel and/or file and smooth out the ecges around the drilled area, making it into an "arch" shape. Once the drilling, dremmeling, and filing is done with you can take a break, the hard part is over. Then all you have to do is *install the stock, slide the tombstone into the powertube on the bottom of the marker, run the macroline from the stock to the tombstone, push the macroline into the elbow, and finaly snap on the foregrip and tighten the screw.

Feel:
This kit definetely effects the ergonomics of your marker just as specops claims. It DOES allow you to shoulder your marker more quickly and it also causes you not only to not mind carrying your marker but almost makes you want to. This kit does an extremely great job with balancing the marker and making it comfortable for the user.

Performance:
I loved the performance this kit gave me yesterday at its first game. I was able to get low and stay there in order to belly crawl all the way behind enemy lines. It allowed me to snapshoot from behind bunkers much more easliy when i was force to play speedball by my friends. It was especially helpful for when I was forced to shoot from a prone position. This kit was definetely worth the money I spent on it.

Concerns:
The only problem I am having with my kit is that when I recieved my stock, the end of it that slides into the marker was not cut correctly. The places where the pushpin screws with the springs slide through the back of the marker also slide through two holes that are drilled into the back piece of the stock. However, the two places that are drilled on my stock are drilled too small for my pushpin screws to fit correctly, causing me to have to use a hammer just to connect my stock to my marker and hold everything together. This causes me alot of anguish when trying to perform basic maintenence on my marker such as disassembling it to replace o-rings. Other than this inconvienence the A5a2 kit is a great buy.

Overall:
This kit is definetely one of the best upgrades you can buy for your marker. If you don't mind going remote, want a better feeling marker, and a lower profile this is the kit for you. If you are uneasy about drilling a hole in your marker there is always the A5a2 EZ Kit which will bypass that step. This is one of the best investments you can make for your A5.

-Tippmann-Sniper a.k.a. Spectre B)

#2 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:37 PM

Concering your concern (heh..) I have had this trouble on all three stocks I have put on my A-5 (BT-16, Tapco 6-Position, Tapco SAW). On the plus side, it keeps your stock from wobbeling B).

This is a nice review. Very well written.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#3 User is offline   Predator88 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Predator88

Posted 04 February 2006 - 12:38 PM

I thought that would make the stock wiggle if it dosen't fit...

#4 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 04 February 2006 - 02:49 PM

It will only wobble if it doesn't fill out the area.
The problem we're talking about is that if fills it out too well.
My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

#5 User is offline   oldguny 

• The Chicago type writer.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Oldguny

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:39 AM

NICE ;) very nice!

When i see you your in my cross hairs,but when you see me your looking over your sholder still wondering why that tree is waving at you. "Explosives slove everthing"-Sandy WBC I'm going for a Sunday drive Navy Seal Style

#6 User is offline   Echo-9 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Echo-9

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:49 PM

I know all this to be true. but i have a bone to pick with somebody and since this is the first A2 review thread i found here's my sad tale. I went out to my paintball store where i had dropped off my A-5 and A2 kit to have it assembled. I walk in the door and am greeted with "Uh oh. Dan, you may wanna sit down." The guy then shows me my stock SHATTERED TO BITS!!!! They had dropped it on the floor from 3 feet and it smashed! Just like that! Why god must you be so cruel! Everyone raved about how indestructable it was, but mine was destroyed by a small drop! NORMALLY i'd write this off as an "Oh well it must have been the runt of the batch" or something, but the guy told me that when he called Spec Ops to have it replaced, the man on the line said "Oh yeah, that happens alot." SAY WHAT?!?! 'Happens alot'?!?!? You've all been praising it up and down about its ruggedness and you say it happens alot???? So, now i have to wait another two weeks for the replacement to get here from Salt Lake City......and i was gonna use it tomorrow to play. Now it's back to borrowing my friends 98 Custom. I'm gonna get laughed at for having bragged about finally being able to not have to borrow a gun and now i'm back at square one.

Let this serve as a warning. Even though they claim it to be tough, don't take any chances. I'm not gonna say "Dont buy it it sucks", i'm just saying be careful with it.

#7 User is offline   Echo-9 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2006 - 06:31 PM

Yo, got it back and now everything's cool. Funny story though, i got the call that the replacement came, and when i walked in the airsmith was sitting there with the butt-stock in 3 pieces.... First impression- Oh crap not again.

Then he showes me why. The remote coil he'd been trying to attatch to test for air tightness in the macro line wouldnt accept the nipple on the stock, so he tried to take it appart to put in a different nipple, and when he saw it couldnt be exchanged he couldnt get the rubber end piece to connect to the interior support bar anymore and was at his wits end getting it togherther again. Needless to say he's not impressed with Spec Ops right now, but the funniest part was this: My mom was with me and she figured out how to get it toghether again, totally showed him up ROFL. I almost cried i was laughing so hard, so were the other guys hanging around the shop.

Crisis now is finding a remote that fits it, so i went to my friends house and tried his out. It worked, so i'm buying his off him to make damn sure i got one that works and giving him money to buy himself a new one.

My only greivance is that despite that neat little cut out in the stock it still isnt nearly big enough for your mask, so an offset is now in order, once i have the funds.

Oh, and a 3 point sling is awsome on it as well, enhances the whole "Roll to shoulder" thing the A2 has going for it, i'd recommend getting one at your local Military Surplus store or somethin. Only thing that could possibly make the stock better would be a place to clip or attatch a sling to the end of it, my sling keeps sliding off the end of the stock.

#8 User is offline   Echo-9 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 14 May 2006 - 03:55 PM

Alright.....in my haste to test out air-tighness i neglected to cut the Macro line to size and its a FEMALE DOG to get out. Any tips other than grip it and rip it?

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users