Special Ops Paintball: Reported Paintball accident in PA. - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Reported Paintball accident in PA. Information wanted.

#1 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:SARTEK

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:11 PM

There was an accident reported (on PbN no less) from someone in the Holland, PA area and I'm trying to find more information with regards to it.

Here's a link to the reporting: http://www.pbnation....d.php?t=2504273

The person reporting the accident is the owner of the tank involved, which was on loan to the victim who was a personal friend.
The reg was damaged and\or separated from the bottle which resulted in severe head trauma to the victim and resulted in hospitalization of the victim.

The owner of the tank involved was not present when it occured and is relying on 2nd hand information with regards to events that took place.
Many of the people on PbN are scoffing at the report and calling it bogus. My concern is that they are not taking it as seriously as they should, especially if it did happen, which is why I would like to know if ANYONE in PA has recently heard of an accident of this kind occurring the weekend of January 5th, 2008

I have not been able to find any other information online about it. No news reports or anything, though my google-fu may be lacking in this case.
"I tinker, therefore I am" - Doc Nickel
DOT HazMat Geek, Airsmith, Tinkerer

#2 User is offline   Pheonix250 

• Rec Rookie - POP *snick*
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:PHOENIX250

Posted 10 January 2008 - 08:37 PM

hmm, another one of these incidents??? Closest thing I know about it is this: http://www.warpig.com/paintball/articles/n...02HPAwarn.shtml

Automag, 2k3 Autococker, Trilogy Comp. Sniper

#3 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:44 AM

This accident had to do with the possible malfunction or impropper installation of an aftermarket regulator that was put onto an HPA tank.

#4 User is offline   Traakon 

• I came I saw, I ...wait...what was the question?
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Traakon

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:09 AM

Actually thats not what I read.
He states

Upon inspection of the tank, it appears that the fill nipple never sealed after removing the hose, and the reg was also bent at an angle (as in not being aligned with the rest of the tank).

Which I read as the reg and tank were intact but for it being bent (possibly from impacts during flight and supporting the spinning theory below) and that it was a non sealing fill nipple that instigated the propulsion. Based on the story of the guy having the "Master Tech" service that very item, I think that if this is a real incident, someone (field owner/master tech) has got some real problems on the horizon.

I can't say I have ever experienced a non sealing fill nipple on a 4500psi tank but I have had a 20oz co2 tank in hand when the burst disk went because of sun exposure and its not fun but I don't see it being the same rocket as if the reg disconnected. In that you have a straight line propulsion where the fill nipple would cause a nasty wicked spinning of the tank. If the nipple was pointed down when he popped it loose and it came straight up to his nose, that I see possible. I also get from the reading that they did not know how to properly run the fill station i.e. degassing the line after filling.

Impossible to say what really occured, the field owner has a lot of explaining to do about what he did to the tank and if he was certified to service pressure vessels.

My best to the injured lad and his family and the friend that seems pretty distraught.

"Friends don't let unqualified friends "self fill" pressure vessels."

This post has been edited by Traakon: 11 January 2008 - 07:17 AM

Death is just a passage...so bring more paint!!!

#5 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

Would that not be a malfunction of the reg as I said?

Read Post #39 in the thread.
It supports the possibilty of the reg being damaged from a repair by the tech, which resulted in the reg being bent out of position.

This post has been edited by sartek: 11 January 2008 - 12:38 PM

#6 User is offline   Traakon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:20 PM

Its POSSIBLE that the tech was eating a hot dog when he worked on it and some bun fell into the tank.

I suppose the point would be where you are trying to go with this. The REG and the Fill Nipple, while being in the same part, are not the same thing. The indication was that the tank vented from the fill nipple not sealing, it is also very likely that dropping the tank would bend the reg after the fact. If the venting came from the base of the reg, then you might look at a reg issue or a reg seating issue.

It does not support the contention that the tech bent it during the repair as that would have been noticed prior to the filling and would not have caused the nipple not to seal.

The fact that the tech took the tank after the incident leads more to the tech covering his butt than a failed or faulty factory reg.

Bottom line again, what are you trying to prove?

#7 User is offline   sartek 

• Trained Shop Monkey
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

I was merely wanting more information regarding the accident.

Another witness actually involved with the accident has come forward and stated the bottle DID separate from the reg, coming straight off the neck of the reg; and that the threads on the regulator neck appeared to be worn, which they should not have been on a newly bought and installed regulator.

My concern with the whole accident has to do with the fact that every day I see more and more requests from paintball players asking how to remove and install regulators themselves.

An accident like this is not something to take likely, especially since the regulator replacement, and subsequent work was done by a tech operating in a commercial capacity. I understand it's possible to say that the tech may or may not be responsible, so what difference does it make if a player does their own tank work? The difference is that the field's insurance company is investigating it as well, and if this accident occurred as a result of a player doing the work themselves, the monetary cost for the person responsible could be astounding, and the possibility to hold other players liable for an accident of this type is always present.

If you MUST have tank maintenance done, PLEASE do not do it yourself. Have a commercial business perform the work.

#8 User is offline   The Shepherd 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:The Shepherd

Posted 11 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

That sucks. Did the lad suffer any other injuries?

#9 User is offline   Traakon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2008 - 10:25 PM

View Postsartek, on Jan 11 2008, 07:17 PM, said:

If you MUST have tank maintenance done, PLEASE do not do it yourself. Have a commercial business perform the work.

I heartily agree and would go a step further...ask the person doing the work if they are DOT certified to perform service on pressure vessels.

Tank Regs are sold commonly and it seems that the removal and installation is pretty simple, screw one out and the other in. "Righty Tighty. Lefty Loosey" would seem to be the only training required. But stop and think..."Do I feel Lucky?" Do I know how to tell if the cylinder threads are worn, stripped, galled or crossed? Do I know what chemical thread locker should be used or should one be used? Do I know what the torque spec's are and do I know and have the right tools to verify the proper torque?

If you cannot answer yes to ALLthe above you have to consider how lucky you are and if the few dollars saved is worth endangering you, or worse yet, someone else’s life.

#10 User is offline   Zamamee 

• something witty
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Zamamee

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:29 AM

This is exactly why I'm not getting a new tank reg. I would like a myth, but I don't trust myself, and there isn't a qualified shop in town that could do it.

edit: spelling

This post has been edited by Zamamee: 14 January 2008 - 08:30 AM

#11 User is offline   Traakon 

• PipPipPip

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:39 AM

View PostZamamee, on Jan 14 2008, 08:29 AM, said:

This is exactly why I'm not getting a new tank reg. I would like a myth, but I don't trust myself, and there isn't a qualified shop in town that could do it.

edit: spelling

Doesn't have to be a Paintball Shop. Most places have an industrial gas company or welding supply or scuba shop in their area and if they don't have someone qualified on their own staff, they can tell you who they use.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users