Posted 01 June 2008 - 08:54 AM

This also helps me im about to start reffing

#32 User is offline   WolfPackColonel 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:WolfPackColonel

Posted 15 June 2008 - 08:38 PM

I have a question. I was playing a game at a local field and one of my teammates called for a paint check on his pod pack. The ref ran over to him yelling "player neutral!" My friend got shot once while the ref was on the way and one ref said that since the only time he was shot was when he (ref) was yelling player neutral that he could keep playing, but the other ref said he was out because the game doesn't stop and said he was out.
So which one is right?
Are the players asking for a paint check neutral and can't shoot or be shot, OR
Are you still in play and the ref just has to call you out if a ball did break on you

#33 User is offline   MandalorianArmor 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MandalorianArmor

Posted 18 June 2008 - 11:56 AM

Paint Checks. These will depend on what rules your field or league falls under. The SPPL, for example, if you call for a paint check you are called neutral by a ref. At that point you can not be advanced on or shot until cleared by the neutral calling ref. If another player calls for a check on a player, and that player is found to be clean, the player that called the check is eliminated.

Some other tips:
Were a cup! Protect that which you hold dear.
Use tact. With younger players, if you make a call or correction, explain it to them in a way that it gets through to them.
At big games, don't get caught up in the drama. Oklahoma D-Day is a Nightmare! Remember that you have other players that need your attention. Make the best call as quickly as you can. Tact comes in handy, however you will always have hotheads that want things thier way. Be firm and confident, and if you need help, get another ref.

Always be on the look out for things that might harm players. Too much paint on a ramp to a tower can make the exit or entry very dangerous. Help them down, control the fire into the area, start the game back up. Look for sharps, nails, metal, wire. Remove these thing from the field! Your field owner will love you for it too.

#34 User is offline   Fallout 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 17 July 2008 - 02:19 PM

Don't give away people positions by watching them to closely, once some one is spotted and in a heavy firefight you can focus in on them however. I've giving away hidden players positions by watching them for to long and the other team catching me.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward.
Whoever cannot take care of themself without that law is both.
For a wounded man shall say to his assailant, "If I Live, I will kill you, If I Die, You are forgiven."
Such is the Rule of Honor

#35 User is offline   RedBarron12 

• RedBarron12
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:RedBarron12

Posted 06 August 2008 - 08:43 PM

Be confident not arogant. When making a call stand by what you say and don't be intimedated. remember you are in control and have the power to remove a player from the field if needed. try to check everybody before games for old paint hits. make sure everyone knows if they have any kind of hit on them bigger than a quater then they are out. stay nuetral and do more than what is asked of you.

as for watching too closely, a chrome or heavily tinted lense helps but won't cure the problem all together.

don't use a shield it can create blind spots which will get you shot more. also alot of ungratefull players find it fun to use it as a target. besides the more you get shot the less and less it hurts. its all about your mindset.
UGA Aftermath-Charles "Barron" Seiferd

My like new Infinity Legend for your Marq or Cash... PM for info

#36 User is offline   andrew sarles 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:spyderstomper

Posted 16 August 2008 - 12:57 AM

I havent reffed very long. but in the woods people actually follow the refs to try to find the enemy!what I found is pick a spot and stay there every time,(given the circumstances are correct)that seemed to work better than babysitting the team.
LAST RITES BRIGADE! R.I.P.
ALWAYS TAKE OUT THE SUPERIOR THREAT FIRST!
ALWAYS PLAY FAIR!
NEVER UNDER ESTIMATE THE OPPOSITION!
REMEMBER IT'S A GAME!

#37 User is offline   SFC. Connell 

• *Extreme Strategist*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SFC. Connell

Posted 01 January 2009 - 11:18 AM

I know the general rules of paintball. the wiping your out, the quater sized hits. But I wanted to get a morre in depth look at the rules, only problem, I dont know where to get them. Could someone help me?
Feedback

She faked a funeral so people would come visit?
ROFLMAO That's both terrible and hilarious at the same time.-Pirate

#38 User is offline   Idealist Paintball 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:idealistpaintball

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

View PostSFC. Connell, on Jan 1 2009, 11:18 AM, said:

I know the general rules of paintball. the wiping your out, the quater sized hits. But I wanted to get a morre in depth look at the rules, only problem, I dont know where to get them. Could someone help me?

I take them out of the NPPL rules. Our field doesn't do the whole 2 for 1/3 for 1 deal, but most of the rules are similar.

http://www.nppl.com/...PL_Rulebook.pdf

They do mention in there that no radios are allowed, but they're allowed in woodsball fields. Pretty much all of the rules are the same for woodsball.

This post has been edited by Idealist Paintball: 17 February 2009 - 07:19 PM

#39 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 17 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

I also like to sprint when paint checking. It makes you look like a player making a move but it also makes you harder to hit and before people can dial in on you usually they realize its a ref and if someone IS shooting at you or you get in the way, you're in the lane for that much shorter of a time.

#40 User is offline   ThirdI 

• Elite Weekend 2007 Sportsmanship Winner and 2008 Instructor
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ThirdI

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:17 AM

Beyond that, if you're just casually walking to the player, you're losing a lot of time that could turn the tide of the game. While I feel it's a little different in most rec and scenario paintball, in speedball or an intense firefight or in a competition like the SPPL, I strongly feel that refs should be sprinting to their paint checks and be more exhausted than the players at the end of the day.

Before you take that the wrong way, realize that I'm speaking as a ref, not as a player. As a player, I can deal with a non-rushed paint check unless it's in strong competition. As a ref, however, I get irritated when I see refs taking their time or even ignoring a paint check.

#41 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 18 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

Yeah, always move fast to your "target", and dont be scared to get hit!
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#42 User is offline   Ecellg 

• Landing gear 25' from plane.
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ecellg

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:56 AM

If you hear a call for paint check, go!!!! I was playing Saturday and was screaming for a paintcheck for a full minute, no one ever came, and my brother (who was right near the two refs) heard me calling it across the field. I just stopped screaming, felt for the paint as best I could, then kept on playing. It turned out that I was hit, and had two guys screaming at me after the game because I was playing on.
FULDA GAP 2009
Serving In The:
U.S. 3rd Mechanized Infantry Division/3rd Brigade 3-22 Infantry
NATO WILL Be Victorious This Next Year

#43 User is offline   Agnoeo 

• The lunatics are in my head
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2009 - 11:39 PM

Hey everyone, I'm a little new to reffing. Been doing it lately because we've gotten undermanned with reffs at my field so I've been volunteering. Have a quick question as well. What are key things to look for when a player is hit? Playing on a large field, and being the only ref its sometimes hard to tell. Also, how much should you help someone? IE a squeegie to clean players barrels, directing people to where the action is ect ect.

Thx Agno`
III - One Ball, One Shot, One Kill South East Brigade Patches Coming Soon! Special Ops Pump Crew
So if a pilot scratches his multi million dollar F22, does that raise his auto insurance rates?? -Legato

#44 User is offline   badger nine 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:24 PM

I dont think you should help with anything really, unless its just a person with a gun thats not working. Such as a person renting and they dont know how to operate it, tell them how or just cock it and turn off the safety.

As for givng them a barrel swab or squeegie to clean their barrel during the game, do it after the game ends, not during, else that would be giving the team a unfair advantage. (IMO)

#45 User is offline   Dr. Wiggy 

• "God. Duty. Honor. Country."
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Dr. Wiggy

Post icon  Posted 17 May 2009 - 02:08 PM

The only thing you should be telling players during a game as far as tips go should be: "Hey, why don't you move up and join the game?"

If the person is renting equipment from your field, I say help them out, because sometimes its just because they don't know when they need more paint, or when to re-cock the bolt and stuff like that.

Ok, so this section of the forums is pretty much dead so I think I'll paste this here from that other thread just so it doesn't get lost for future reference.

My Reffing tips:

1. If you're not getting shot, you're not Reffing, you're watching from a distance.

2. If there is ANY yelling back and forth between two players, get your john brown hind-parts in-between them, and find out whats going on before you have to watch whats going on.

3. Be nice.
Yes, you must yell ALOT but be sure to show your friendly side aswell. "Good shot player, nice snap shooting skills you have there." "Nice marker, where'd you get it?" "Good effort player, keep up the good work."

4. Be LOUD. YELL. SHOUT.
But don't forget to do # 3 too.

5. Make sure everything runs smoothly, get the games started as fast as you can, no one likes to sit in the staging area for 15 minutes between each game. Don't let the teams get stacked, make sure you have a few noobs and pros on each team, don't put a sponsored team against the birthday parties (unless they out number them by 20+ players lol).

6. This one is VERY important:
Explain the game VERY CLEARLY, because if you don't, the noobs won't know what's going on, because they are too shy to ask questions in front of the rest of the players.
After you have reffed a while, you will start "shortening" your pre-game speeches out of bordom or fatigue, DO NOT DO THIS. Make sure you keep everyone's thoughts on safety and the objectives of the upcoming game.

7. You work for the field, don't tell people to go buy their gear somewhere else, recomend the field shop.

8. MOST IMPORTANT THING ON MY LIST!

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER EVER BACK DOWN FROM A CALL THAT YOU MADE.
YOU are the Ref.
YOU are getting paid to make sure the game is fair and fun.
YOUR word is LAW.

and ALWAYS back up your fellow Refs, even if they're wrong, back them up and correct them later on after the game.

7. My outline of a pre-game speech:

A. make sure you tell them about mask safety, THROUGHLY. Tell them what the penalty is for taking it off while on the field (Sit out one game etc. etc.)
B. Explain the game THROUGHLY. Explain the game like everyone there has never played paintball in their life.
C. Switch it up, don't play the same games over and over, do something new, make up some games yourself.
D. Explain respawn points for BOTH TEAMS so they won't camp the other team's dead-zone.
E. Explain what the horn means (or whatever you use at your field to start and stop the games).
F. ALWAYS ask if there are any questions, if you don't get any, quiz them on something simple, like: "Hey Red player, where is your respawn?" just to make sure that they are listening (Don't over do it though, just one question is more than enough.)

G. Its nice to add a little flavor at the end of your rant to make everyone smile and lighten the mood so everyone knows that they are about to have fun.

Examples:
"Everyone understand the rules? Sweetness, lets go shoot people!"

"Good deal, NOW LETS PLAY SOME PAINTBALL!!!!!

"AND MOST IMPORTANTLY: have fun guys!"

"I will personally buy lunch for anyone who shoots this guy!! **point at someone you're friends with, so he'll get the joke**"

I guess it was long after all huh? Oh well, I tried to keep it short.

Well, that is the important stuff.

Now get to work!
God Bless and have fun,
Doc

This post has been edited by Dr. Wiggy: 17 May 2009 - 02:09 PM

The honorable freak of nature; Dr. Wiggy presiding.
Posted Image
The "Suicidal Ref"

Become Elite. Don't Cheat.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users