Special Ops Paintball: Tippmann/SpecialOps AK-47 front Grip for 98C - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tippmann/SpecialOps AK-47 front Grip for 98C NOT worth 35 bucks...

#1 User is offline   M. Deth 

• Motopsycho
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:MOTOPSYCHO

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:40 PM

I just ordered the AK-47 Front Grip for a 98C from the Special Ops store. This is the same front grip as is being sold in the 99 dollar, 3-piece "Tactical Kit" but Special Ops sells just the front grip for 35. First off, 35 bucks was too much, even if it was a perfect part. But, I really wanted a rifle style front grip, and I couldn't find too many options that didn't come with some crappy barrel.

Anyways, I got the part, and started the install. I don't even need to say, but the 1/2 a paragraph explaining how to install the part really didn't do anything to help at all. Is there a Tippmann part out there that actually has good instructions?

Ok, so here's the steps required to install, not covered in the instructions. First, the gun must be completely disassembled. You must remove the two receiver nuts at the front of the gun. One is up by the feeder neck latch, and the other is below it on the front grip. Those nuts were glued into the receiver half so they wouldn't fall out. To get them out, thread in a bolt, and tap on the bolt with a small hammer until the nut pops out. Once those nuts are out, you can put the gun back together.

Continuing on, next you have to take all the screws out of the new front grip & install it in halves. Here is the next problem I ran into. The grip has a nice, recessed, hex shaped hole for the nut on the top mounting location, but the lower hole has a small, tapered hole (a hex shaped nut is suppose to fit there). Same problem on the other half of the grip. The top hole is recessed correctly to hide the bolt head, but the bottom hole is too small, so the bolt head sticks out and creates an eye sore. Finally, the instructions tell you to fasten everything with the original nuts & bolts from the gun. Problem #3, they are not long enough! HELLO people, they didn't have any extra length when there wasn't a front grip, now you are adding more plastic into the mix, longer bolts are needed, but NOT included.

Anyways, I emailed both Tippmann & Special Ops about the problem. I explained the issues in detail. I also explained that I own lots of other Tippmann products, and never once have I seen a fitment issue this bad. I probably wouldn't be writing this post if either of them had replied to my email, but at this point, I have not gotten anything back about it. Times are tough, and apparently Tippmann & Spec Ops are cutting corners in the Customer Service Dept, and wasting money in the Product Development Dept.
"Born to bleed, fighting to succeed, built to endure what this world throws at me." - Hatebreed
Special Ops Brigade ID - 161556
Tunka.com - Join over 1600 Denver area players for FREE National Forest games.

#2 User is offline   M. Deth 

• Motopsycho
  • PipPip

Posted 02 November 2008 - 06:19 AM

I thought I would add this here. Tippmann has contacted me now, and are willing to talk about the problem. They want me to return the part & they will replace it. I sent them pictures, and asked them to compare my pictures to the new parts. If the molded holes are the same, the problem will be the same. Usually, if one part is mis-molded, every part is mis-molded.

Here are the pics:
Posted Image
Posted Image

P.S. Special Ops has not returned my emails at all. I attempted to write a review of this product in their store, but since I bad mouthed a Tippmann/Special Ops product, my review was refused for posting. They will post good reviews, but not bad ones.
"Born to bleed, fighting to succeed, built to endure what this world throws at me." - Hatebreed

#3 User is offline   Hawk1216 

• Gunwhore
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Hawk1216

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

Try giving them a call instead of e-mailing, the folks who answer the phones are phenomenal; I've had plenty of experience with them!
Special Ops +39/-0
PBnation +8/-0
E-bay +77/-0

#4 User is offline   M. Deth 

• Motopsycho
  • PipPip

Posted 12 November 2008 - 06:09 AM

View PostHawk1216, on Nov 2 2008, 09:54 AM, said:

Try giving them a call instead of e-mailing, the folks who answer the phones are phenomenal; I've had plenty of experience with them!

Special Ops told me to call Tippmann. I called Tippmann, and they were not aware that this part was even being sold by-it's self & not apart of their 3-piece kit.

Anyways, Tippmann offered to replace the grip. When I told them I already modified it to fit the gun, they said they would just send out a new one for me. I got the new one, and to no big surprise, it has the same molding problems as the first one. I do appreciate Tippmann sending out a second one for me, but I don't understand how both companies can deny a problem when I sent them pictures of the problem. I am much happier since I got a 2 for 1 deal out of all this. The second grip will fit my M98 after I modify it the same way.

P.S. I attempted to write an honest review on Special Ops site, and they refused to post my review because it bad mouthed their product. Keep in mind when buying from them, they filter out bad reviews...

This post has been edited by M. Deth: 12 November 2008 - 06:17 AM

#5 User is offline   Flippy the Wonder Bunny 

• My E-MAN PART is bigger than yours
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 November 2008 - 05:48 PM

They aren't molding problems. It's supposed to be like that. The kit should have come with different screws. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen but thats the way they do it.

#6 User is offline   M. Deth 

• Motopsycho
  • PipPip

Posted 12 November 2008 - 08:19 PM

View Postghost93, on Nov 12 2008, 05:48 PM, said:

They aren't molding problems. It's supposed to be like that. The kit should have come with different screws. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever seen but thats the way they do it.

That's funny, the instructions specifically said to install with the same hardware as was removed from the gun. There was not longer screws included with either the original grip, or the replacement one I was sent.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users