• You cannot reply to this topic

tM-15 dampening mod. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   chl2onic 

• Bargain Addict
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:chl2onic

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:23 AM

I scored a tm-15 from a pawn shop the other week for 115 bucks. I have been thinking of how I can mod it since.. I knew I'd go 2 directions with it.. Cut the shroud down 4 inches, to make a shorter marker.. Or utilize the baffles in the shroud, by dampening them :-) I decided to try baffling the shroud first, if I don't like it it's removable. There was another guy out there who used scotch bright pads for his method, but I thought the softer material would work better.. I haven't had a chance to test it, so give me time for real results.

the tm-15 comes "pre muffled" by having porting from the barrel inside of baffling in the marker. This makes it quiet, but more importantly, it is the perfect oppertunity for a tinkerer like me to mod their marker.

What I did.

Went to the local Wallmart, and bought a roll of non adhesive non slip matting (for drying dishes, or going in your cupboards). then I bought a 6 pack of self adhesive foam (used for crafts, I use the same stuff to pad my hopper, worked great)

Took the clamshells apart, cleaned everything with rubbing alcohol.
Posted Image

Made a basic stencil
Posted Image

Cut a piece of the self adhesive foam out.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Traced 2 layers of the non-slip matting for every piece of black foam (allows more air to be trapped in the non-slip matting)
Posted Image
Posted Image

for the difficult ones, I dry fit foam in one side, trimmed it until it fit, then flipped it upside down, and traced it to get a mirrored piece of it. That would work out perfectly for the other side.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

I don't have a full tank, but I took a few shots with a mostly empty tank, and it sounds to be dampened quite well.. Expect updates..

How many of you want a tm-15 now?? lol

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:48 AM

Be wary about advertising this. What you did is quite illegal, since said shroud can be removed and put onto otther things. The laws clearly state that the device must be permanantly attached to the marker for it to pass. Otherwise, like in your case, you'd best have the paperwork ready. Not likely that someone on a field will call you on it, but just know it is highly illegal.

Scotchbrites work pretty well for the cost. ;)

"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 User is offline   Down Range Pain 

• Holy Necropost Batman!
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2011 - 01:59 AM

Legato, on 16 March 2011 - 03:48 AM, said:

The laws clearly state that the device must be permanantly attached to the marker for it to pass.

bust out the Superglue and JB Weld

This post has been edited by Down Range Pain: 16 March 2011 - 02:00 AM

Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars. Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” --Martin Luther King Jr.

"Victory is a very dangerous oppertunity" --General Andre Beaufre

#4 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

what? He was just putting paper on the inside so its easier to clean. gosh you guys jump to conclusions to quickly.

Anyways, we demand a shooting video. preferably one without the shroud and one with for direct comparison. (paint must be used.)

#5 User is offline   THUNDR 

• Heavy Metal
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Koos

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:18 AM

Um, have you heard a stock TM15 fire? It's pretty freaking quiet already. I don't know if it's illegal because you just put materials in a marker; I could see that doing something like that could be illegal on a real firearm (wrapping damping foam around a muzzle brake, etc.) but I don't see how having it on your marker would make it illegal. Anyway, I think it's a little unnecessary given the marker was meant to be really quiet and is. Got any other ideas for mods in the works?

View PostMarine Scout Sniper, on 24 November 2008 - 06:47 PM, said:

I just try to fulfill what the military conciders when they look for a sniper. ...their major concern is over all accuracy, physical stamina, patience, ability to acquire top secret clearance, and prior experience in paintball and/or hunting...

Gearbag Sale

#6 User is offline   Supergyro 

• Ain't He Great, Folks?
  • PipPip

Posted 16 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

Here's hoping it's quieter. :tup:

This post has been edited by Supergyro: 16 March 2011 - 08:51 AM

Posted Image
"Of course you know, this means war."-Bugs Bunny
"My friend got killed by a throwing star but I live because of DEagle."-Thalion

"The visible spectrum is...RAINBOWS"-Pirate

#7 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:13 AM

@THUNDR - it's not about "quieting" the marker, it's the fact the shroud can be removed from the marker & modified to fit a firearm. It may take a crap-ton of modifying, but it could theoretically be done & that's all the authorities need to call it illegal.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#8 User is offline   chl2onic 

• Bargain Addict
  • PipPip

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:50 AM

ger, that shroud is part of the body of the tm-15, and there is no way to unattach it from the body of the tm-15. The body is a single solid piece of magnesium on both sides. That is a major part of the reason I am doing this. The baffles, along with the stock barrel porting locations are made to already diffues air in the shroud and quiet the marker. They made sure to make the baffles part of the body of the marker to avoid law issues. All the padding in the provided baffles is dampen the "clap" of the air when it hits the magnesium body.

Yes I know the tm-15 is already way freaking quiet, thats why I wanted it to be even quieter.. I have my Tippmann as loud as possible to keep heads down, I figured I'd make one of my markers extremely quiet.

The self adhesive craft foam on the back side of this doesn't have very strong adhesive, and I'd be able to peal it out with no issues, and I wouldnt be able to get it to re stick to anything.. Using this method of padding in a firearm wouldn't do you any good as it wouldnt trap nearly enough hot gas, plus it would also eventually melt the internal padding after a few shots. Another thing to note is that it's magnesium.. Even if this was chopped off the marker, and epoxied to a firearm, the magnesium could ignight from the heat of bullets flying through it. I've done some reading before I did this, and in this one instance.. I am pretty covered as far as legalities go.

My air tanks are both empty from me test firing my tm-15 the day before this mod, but my friend has a driod phone, and we are going to compare this to a tm-7, see if it'll spin a tm series rc with it's report, put a db meter on it, and so forth.. It'll be a few days before I'll be able to meet up with them though.

This post has been edited by chl2onic: 16 March 2011 - 10:27 AM

#9 User is offline   chl2onic 

• Bargain Addict
  • PipPip

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:53 AM

As for other mods, I was thinking about choping it up to make a soggy mod, but it seems to be rarer to have a full length tm-15 at this point. I want to ditch the stock, and get a sling mount in a 98C back cap, so I can sling this.. Other wise so far this thing ROCKS.. quiet efficient, light for its size, eyes, ect.. I really don;t need to change much on it. Feel free to post them here and change it to tm-15 mods or something if you guys have any other ideas.

#10 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:58 AM

My bad. I think Leg & I were both thinking it was removable much like an X-7's front end. Since that's the case, knock yourself out w/ all the foam you want!

Shoot, now I have to call back the ATF, Minnesota branch, & tell them "nevermind, false alarm". ;)
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#11 User is offline   chl2onic 

• Bargain Addict
  • PipPip

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:07 AM

LOL, thats why that van keeps driving by!! It just sucks because I really want to shoot this and make a vid, but I'm stuck here until the weekend.

#12 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

If it is permanently stuck to the marker then you are good to go. Like i said, WHITE scotch brite works very well. its just a bit fluffier then the green. ;)
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#13 User is offline   chl2onic 

• Bargain Addict
  • PipPip

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:21 AM

Legato, on 16 March 2011 - 11:43 PM, said:

WHITE scotch brite works very well. its just a bit fluffier then the green. ;)

Good to know, I'll try it if this method fails.. We are going shooting on sunday, so I should have a short vid, and some numbers then.

#14 User is offline   Private Silver 

• Das poomp
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Private Silver

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:56 PM

Another thing to possibly try could be something such as the weather stripping commonly sold for sealing window frames and what not. Might need to trim it down a bit, but it may be a slightly denser foam, capturing more air and holding it a bit longer.
Posted Image
SO Feedback +2/ E-bay feedback +14

#15 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:46 PM

I would also suggest using the white scotch bright pad w/ the stuff you have already put in place. more stuff that will redirect and defuse the air and sound the better it will work.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users