• You cannot reply to this topic

Flatline and EGrip Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   dcarva 

• Cobrawoodsball.com
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:COBRA_Grinder

Posted 02 June 2008 - 03:34 PM

Hello all, I am thinking of getting a flatline. I tried it out at a field and it worked well. Question: in your experience, do the flatline barrells work well when shooting 15bps or so?

Thanks

#2 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Rooster45

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:03 PM

View Postdcarva, on Jun 2 2008, 03:34 PM, said:

Hello all, I am thinking of getting a flatline. I tried it out at a field and it worked well. Question: in your experience, do the flatline barrells work well when shooting 15bps or so?

Thanks

Honestly, just trying it out on the field doesn't show you how much of a pain in the butt a flatline is. Anytime you break paint in it (which is quite often), you are done for the day unless you do an incredible cleaning job. Flatlines are not just a barrel, they are A WAY OF LIFE. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for flatlines (I ran one for about 4 years), just know what you are getting into. Your flatline will tell you what kind of paint you can use, what speed you shoot at, what pressure you shoot at etc. An e-trigger with a high rate of fire isn't a bad thing on a flatline, but it will compound any mistake you make and it'll be 10 times worse. A flatline can be shot fast, if everything is perfect... but you're new to it, and frankly you have a long ways to go.

If you like the flatline effect get an apex. Its easier to maintain, and much easier to clean.

#3 User is offline   dcarva 

• Cobrawoodsball.com
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:COBRA_Grinder

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:13 PM

Thanks for the advice!

#4 User is offline   Marauder_Pilot 

• Thrilling Heroics
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Marauder_Pilot

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:20 PM

Flatlines work best at high ROFs, simply because they lose a lot of accuracy if you're playing in anything but ideal weather, so you're going to need to paint-hose it up a but.

#5 User is offline   Bone37 

• The Chicago 37th S.P.S. Heavy Gunner
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Bone37

Posted 02 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

I love my flatline! However, that said they are allot of work. From my experience, 3years worth, the flat line is a great barrel.
If you use some what small high quality paint (Marbalizer) on a warm day you will have a good time.
If you use full size or over size cheep paint you will sux!
If you use the flatline on a cold day... you must use high quality paint, again marbs should do the trick.
Ok, I admit I never have used an Apex, seen lots on the field, most likely shot by some. Its definitely a good product.
I'm heavy gunner on our team and most of the time I'm running as fast as allowed, these days I think its 11 bps :huh:
So after all that... yes.

More info than asked for but oh well. :happy:
Posted Image

37sps.com

#6 User is offline   KRA SHARPSHOOTER 

• [ Doglegs of War ] ~Silent But Deadly~
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:KRA SHARPSHOOTER

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

View PostFlamingoChavez, on Jun 2 2008, 06:03 PM, said:

Anytime you break paint in it (which is quite often), you are done for the day unless you do an incredible cleaning job.

I would disagree that it breaks paint often and that it's hard to get clean. My father uses his A-5 (although he doesn't have an E-grip) with a Flatline, shoots Nelson HotSpot Paint($0.02/ball), rarely breaks any paint, and when it does he just twists the barrel 1/4 turn shoves his squeegee through it and twists the barrel back on. It will continue to shoot just fine.

This post has been edited by KRA SHARPSHOOTER: 02 June 2008 - 06:48 PM

KRA SHARPSHOOTER's A-5 - [ Doglegs of War ] - ~Silent But Deadly~ - Archive of Wisdom - Online Discount Codes
"I don't play Woodsball because I have an A-5, I have an A-5 because I play Woodsball" - KRA SHARPSHOOTER

#7 User is offline   Evil Fingers 

• ELITE Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 June 2008 - 10:17 PM

Ive used the Flatline on my 98 w/RT for 2.5 years (before the Apex came out), in the first year alone, I mastered on how to use the Flatline as well as what is needed to make the Flatline to work to my advantage on the field and its true that the Flatline is very picky on Paint and that Quality Paint (Marballizers and Premiums) is a Must Have when using the Flatline to avoid Barrel Breaks as mush as possible.

Also locating the most suitable FPS Setting (270 fps) and how to hold the Marker correctly is crucial when using the Flatline, because both can cause the balls to curve in every direction, except straight.

EDIT: forgot to mention this...when using the Flatline with the E-Grip, make sure the Marker's Velocity is no higher than 270 fps when using Co2, the reason being, when shooting at High Rates of Fire and if the outside temperature is above 70*, the marker will go through a Velocity Spike, meaning that the fps will increase.

This post has been edited by Evil Fingers: 02 June 2008 - 10:43 PM

#8 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:08 AM

View PostKRA SHARPSHOOTER, on Jun 2 2008, 06:47 PM, said:

Anytime you break paint in it (which is quite often), you are done for the day unless you do an incredible cleaning job.

I would disagree that it breaks paint often and that it's hard to get clean. My father uses his A-5 (although he doesn't have an E-grip) with a Flatline, shoots Nelson HotSpot Paint($0.02/ball), rarely breaks any paint, and when it does he just twists the barrel 1/4 turn shoves his squeegee through it and twists the barrel back on. It will continue to shoot just fine.

He either has a magic barrel, or he can't shoot straight enough to know the difference (if he's one of those high volume guys, then that would make sense).

I would agree that you can get to the point where you can not break paint in the barrel often, but anytime you do, you are pretty much required to run water down the barrel to shoot straight again. You've even hit on yet ANOTHER experience thing about flatlines. They have such a wide bore, that most squeegees don't work well in them.

If you have a field that will allow you to bring your own paint, then a flatline should be fine. However, if you play at a field like 90% of us play at that is "field paint only" and you can't count on them having the paint you need, then a flatline might not be a good idea for you.

Like I said before, I have a flatline for both my 98 and my A5 (Ironically, I think the one for the 98 was better) and I've ran them for about 4 years. However, I also have an Apex. I know that the Apex can reproduce the same effect that the flatline can, with the added benefit of being able to turn it off. That makes the learning curve MUCH easier, and thats why I think they are a superior product. You dictate terms to the Apex, not the other way around... I just don't like taking orders from my barrel, even though I did it, and did it well, for a substantial period of time.

#9 User is offline   KRA SHARPSHOOTER 

• PipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:51 AM

View PostFlamingoChavez, on Jun 3 2008, 08:08 AM, said:

View PostKRA SHARPSHOOTER, on Jun 2 2008, 06:47 PM, said:

He either has a magic barrel, or he can't shoot straight enough to know the difference (if he's one of those high volume guys, then that would make sense).

I would agree that you can get to the point where you can not break paint in the barrel often, but anytime you do, you are pretty much required to run water down the barrel to shoot straight again. You've even hit on yet ANOTHER experience thing about flatlines. They have such a wide bore, that most squeegees don't work well in them.

If you have a field that will allow you to bring your own paint, then a flatline should be fine. However, if you play at a field like 90% of us play at that is "field paint only" and you can't count on them having the paint you need, then a flatline might not be a good idea for you.

Like I said before, I have a flatline for both my 98 and my A5 (Ironically, I think the one for the 98 was better) and I've ran them for about 4 years. However, I also have an Apex. I know that the Apex can reproduce the same effect that the flatline can, with the added benefit of being able to turn it off. That makes the learning curve MUCH easier, and thats why I think they are a superior product. You dictate terms to the Apex, not the other way around... I just don't like taking orders from my barrel, even though I did it, and did it well, for a substantial period of time.

He must have a magic barrel, because he can hit a helmet at 75ft. with the first shot.

He uses the squeegee that was included with his A-5 to clean the barrel. It's one of those rubber squeegee's.

Most of the time we play Outlaw, but even when we play at the local field he hasn't had trouble with their field paint. Of course I know that not all field paint will work as well as our fields.

I would agree that an Apex is a better investment. I have an Apex on my 12" C-Series equipped A-5. You can disable it if you need it disabled, and you can adjust the amount of spin put on the ball.

KRA SHARPSHOOTER's A-5 - [ Doglegs of War ] - ~Silent But Deadly~ - Archive of Wisdom - Online Discount Codes
"I don't play Woodsball because I have an A-5, I have an A-5 because I play Woodsball" - KRA SHARPSHOOTER

#10 User is offline   FlamingoChavez 

• (insert title here)
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:01 AM

View PostKRA SHARPSHOOTER, on Jun 3 2008, 06:51 AM, said:

He must have a magic barrel, because he can hit a helmet at 75ft. with the first shot.

Can he do that after a break? Probably not. I've found that not only is accuracy shot to hell after a break in a flatline, but your paint is 10x more likely to break again in the barrel after a break. So breaks tend to breed more breaks.

You have to understand that when personal experiences gained over the course of 4 years comes into conflict with the advice given by a random person on the internet, I go with my experience. That doesn't mean to be a statement about you or your dad (no disrespect implied), its just that I believe me more then I believe you.

This post has been edited by FlamingoChavez: 04 June 2008 - 08:03 AM

#11 User is offline   KRA SHARPSHOOTER 

• PipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2008 - 08:31 AM

View PostFlamingoChavez, on Jun 4 2008, 10:01 AM, said:

View PostKRA SHARPSHOOTER, on Jun 3 2008, 06:51 AM, said:

Can he do that after a break? Probably not. I've found that not only is accuracy shot to hell after a break in a flatline, but your paint is 10x more likely to break again in the barrel after a break. So breaks tend to breed more breaks.

You have to understand that when personal experiences gained over the course of 4 years comes into conflict with the advice given by a random person on the internet, I go with my experience. That doesn't mean to be a statement about you or your dad (no disrespect implied), its just that I believe me more then I believe you.

"Can he do it after a break?" Nope, but allot of other barrels also have their accuracy messed up after a break. As you stated, paint is more likely to break again after you have already broken paint in your barrel.

I will also trust my personal experience, so no hard feelings! :)

This post has been edited by KRA SHARPSHOOTER: 04 June 2008 - 08:32 AM

#12 User is offline   asfaraslogic 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:45 AM

I am a HUGE fan of the flatline. I run an egrip, ape board on double shot. Wargear paddles.
I don't get barrel breaks. I just have not had one in months, just has not happened. I use everything from the cheapest wally world paint, to the local shops best stuff. Just depends on my budget. Hell I make it a point of picking up balls left on the field between games. I bum paint off my brother and teamates often.
And although I do not get the accuracy some others might, I do really well. Dispite the temps outside, paint, and air.
I cannot see running anything else... Just my thoughts on the subject.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users