• You cannot reply to this topic

What do you call a hit? And when do you justify arguable? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   PB Ghost 

• I'm back!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:PB_Ghost

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:02 PM

I'm promting this question because i had a tournament today and we got 4 very questionable calls.

The one on me- The ref pulled me for what appeared to be some shell on my shoulder, no paint, i asume it was from the bunker i was on (big plastic one with paint shards everywhere), There was also some shell in my head band, same side.

What would your call be? Why? Would you justify that as "arguable"

For the record i didnt argue on this call, i just walked out. we did win that game anyway but there was another questionable call,

There apears to be an outline of a hit, bigfer than a quarter, faded into the clothing, no shell, i belive one ref calls him clean and says its old, an another one pulls him.

What would your call be? Why? would you judge this calls and an "arguable" call?

Third and most disapointing- player is called out, he says "i wasnt hit, where is it?" ref does not answer with where , but pulls his armband, ref never told us where the hit was, we had a nother ref do a check of him at the end, not a drop of paint on him.

What would your call be as the player? Would you have argued? (this one is tough to ask your call as a ref, because there wasnt a hit)

Now for the "what if's": (what is your call on these? im just curious)

1 You see a paintball hit player "a", it breaks but leaves less than a quarter of paint on him, for arguments sakes, dime sized,

2 You see same thing, you dont know if it breaks or not, but you see splater on gear and area of suspected hit,

3 you see a player run into a bunker/ tree/ slide into a bunch of broken paint, he now clearly has paint and shell on him, do you pull him? Now say you didnt see him slide or run into the bunker, you see the same thing, he's covered in every paint there is, and he tells you it was from the bunker, do you belive him?

4 You see a player get hit, it looks kinda like it breaks, he touches it, could look like wipeing, he looks at his hand, Ok pretend time freezes, he's either gonna call himself, its gonna be a wipe, or he calls you over, what is your say at this point? do you wait? do you pull him either way?

You can quote this and answer in red in the quote or however you want, im kinda curious about this, just beacuse diffrent situations ive seen, and i was wondering what the majority of people would have called. and to see the imput on arguable calls
Become a Str8balla (#67)
Member #11 of invisible text club!
MASSIVE GEAR BAG SALE!

#2 User is offline   toxic t0ast 

• If I cant dance, I dont want to be apart of your revolution.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:french t0ast

Posted 21 May 2006 - 01:50 PM

idk there is really no way for the refs to see every little thing
<div align="center"><!--sizeo:3--><span style="font-size:12pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:#000000--><span style="color:#000000"><!--/coloro-->Representing the Hate five oh! (850-Ska-core)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--></div>
<div align="center"><a href="http://www.myspace.com/thespanx" target="_blank">The Spanx (Our folk/indie band)</a></div>
<div align="center"></div>

#3 User is offline   PBSABRE 

• Texan Rebel
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:33 PM

View PostPB Ghost, on May 21 2006, 01:02 PM, said:

I'm promting this question because i had a tournament today and we got 4 very questionable calls.

The one on me- The ref pulled me for what appeared to be some shell on my shoulder, no paint, i asume it was from the bunker i was on (big plastic one with paint shards everywhere), There was also some shell in my head band, same side.

What would your call be? Why? Would you justify that as "arguable"

For the record i didnt argue on this call, i just walked out. we did win that game anyway but there was another questionable call,

There apears to be an outline of a hit, bigfer than a quarter, faded into the clothing, no shell, i belive one ref calls him clean and says its old, an another one pulls him.

What would your call be? Why? would you judge this calls and an "arguable" call?

Third and most disapointing- player is called out, he says "i wasnt hit, where is it?" ref does not answer with where , but pulls his armband, ref never told us where the hit was, we had a nother ref do a check of him at the end, not a drop of paint on him.

What would your call be as the player? Would you have argued? (this one is tough to ask your call as a ref, because there wasnt a hit)

Now for the "what if's": (what is your call on these? im just curious)

1 You see a paintball hit player "a", it breaks but leaves less than a quarter of paint on him, for arguments sakes, dime sized,
I had this happen yesterday. I only pull someone if the splatter is bigger than a quarter.

2 You see same thing, you dont know if it breaks or not, but you see splater on gear and area of suspected hit,
I'd check the guy for a direct hit first before making any decisions
3 you see a player run into a bunker/ tree/ slide into a bunch of broken paint, he now clearly has paint and shell on him, do you pull him? Now say you didnt see him slide or run into the bunker, you see the same thing, he's covered in every paint there is, and he tells you it was from the bunker, do you belive him?
to the first question, if it looks like bunker rub, im not gonna pull em. To the second question, probably not, I would only believe them if they showed me the moment they rubbed the bunker.
4 You see a player get hit, it looks kinda like it breaks, he touches it, could look like wipeing, he looks at his hand, Ok pretend time freezes, he's either gonna call himself, its gonna be a wipe, or he calls you over, what is your say at this point? do you wait? do you pull him either way?
I'd wait and see if he tries to wipe the hit, then pull him
You can quote this and answer in red in the quote or however you want, im kinda curious about this, just beacuse diffrent situations ive seen, and i was wondering what the majority of people would have called. and to see the imput on arguable calls

#4 Guest_wolftalon_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 May 2006 - 02:37 PM

eh..its only a game...

And you won anyway.

#5 User is offline   Fiendish 

• Jack of all Trades
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Fiendish

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

View Postwolftalon, on May 21 2006, 03:37 PM, said:

eh..its only a game...

And you won anyway.

Yup, it's just a game..but ref's should be held as accountable if not more than the players for their actions...if a ref is pulling junk or not doing his job he needs a quick word to correct or if intentional a nice boot in the butt to get off the field. One bad player may just annoy his team, but a bad ref can ruin a whole field's day and the rep of that field...

This post has been edited by Fiendish: 21 May 2006 - 04:12 PM

IPB Image
PBN Feedback: Click Here

#6 User is offline   AKZEL 

• Blitzkrygier
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:AKZEL

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:32 PM

A hit is a clear SOILD marking on the player.
Shell and splash do not count.

#7 User is offline   frontlines 

• A-5, 98, phantom, whatever my style is
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:frontlines

Posted 21 May 2006 - 04:40 PM

on the rare occasions i ref, i like to stay near where the action is so i dont miss alot.

Q1: if i see splatter at the point where the guy got hit, id ask him to roll up his sleeve/pant leg if its possible, if not, if its bigger than a nickle for me, hes out

Q2: i usually dont call gun and equippmant splatter, but if i see someone getting splattered to the point where their gun goes from black to orange in a few moments, hes out. again, if theres a concentration of splatter bigger than a nickle, out

Q3: i dont call it, i know the difference between slid slide than getting lit up on the leg, but ill ask him to rub it in

Q4: Same thing PBSABRE said. if he calls himself out, bonus points for beeing an actual player and beeing fair, if he wipes, out, if he asks, again with the nickle

hope that helped

#8 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 22 May 2006 - 06:56 AM

ok all hits bigger then a quater is out. inclouding gernades. now for speedball question #3 just happened to me yesterday wile i was refing a game. a kid slid into a bunker covered in paint when the other team saw him they said he was out i checked him and when you slide into a bunker there is usally a good showing off"sliding" as in the paint look to be running in one direction. so i called him clean and then took a shot to the mask. wow thats misteries.....
~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#9 User is offline   Kotf 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 22 May 2006 - 09:46 AM

I was reffing a couple of days ago and this kid has so much bunker spray on his mask I called him out (it looked like he got gogged there was so much spray!).

#10 User is offline   PB Ghost 

• I'm back!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2006 - 03:08 PM

View Postwolftalon, on May 21 2006, 02:37 PM, said:

eh..its only a game...

And you won anyway.

We won that one... Major fluke game however, but i guess that compensates for somthing else, because what happend we had one player get a bad call, infact that was quesion #2, (the second thing that really happen not the what ifs)

But the game ended in a guy trying to make a run through geting oblitorated because he went to the wrong bunker, than the guy on the other guy tryed the same thing, witch opend up a whole to pull off a 2 vs 4.

The other game we lost, (the one where the ref wounlt tell us where our player was hit) he pulled two people, The first he gave no exuse, the second the player had called himself out, he was walking away, check his hit, and turned and lit my player up, right before he got the flag so we didnt get any of the pull points.

There were a few other calls, one argued and won, i feel bad for the other guy however because this is how it went down. A shot sprayed off my bunker, ref saw a white logo on my knee, thought it was a hit, did the "out" motion, i yell no break! Not hit! he then realizes, and does the "safe" sign, unfortunantly for the other player he didnt see the safe so he was in the open,

I am surprized on the thrid question i would have just ran over and checked him, kinda a trick question, because time is stopped, but than agian i guess i would wait, but if time stoped that would be along wait so i'd just call him out :rolleyes:
Become a Str8balla (#67)
MASSIVE GEAR BAG SALE!

#11 User is offline   weasel15457 

• Snipa_joe
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:weasel15457

Posted 23 May 2006 - 11:31 AM

As a ref, I'd personally allow something like that to go. Shell and paint are two obviously different things. Just because there is shell, doesn't mean they were hit.

No matter what the situation is though, don't let it escalate to an argument. Every ref I work with would throw an arguer right off the field.
Bonus ball the wipers...they'll learn sooner or later...

#12 User is offline   PB Ghost 

• I'm back!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2006 - 01:30 PM

I guess argue is a strong word, i mean more of Debate, or Rebute, Re-count, or disagree.

When i say argue i mean with respect, not heated and throwing a tantrum and kicking the ground, at most raising my voise and becomeing agrivated but no swearing or namecalling or anything vulgar.
Become a Str8balla (#67)
MASSIVE GEAR BAG SALE!

#13 User is offline   weasel15457 

• Snipa_joe
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:weasel15457

Posted 24 May 2006 - 12:11 PM

View PostPB Ghost, on May 23 2006, 04:30 PM, said:

I guess argue is a strong word, i mean more of Debate, or Rebute, Re-count, or disagree.

When i say argue i mean with respect, not heated and throwing a tantrum and kicking the ground, at most raising my voise and becomeing agrivated but no swearing or namecalling or anything vulgar.

That sounds logical when you hear it said right now but if you get up like that on a fast-paced speedball game field, a ref isn't going to want to waste time and you'd be surprised how fast some of those refs jump at someone arguing about a call. I'm not saying I personally do that, but watching some tournaments at Wanna-Play while I was learning, it doesn't take much.
Bonus ball the wipers...they'll learn sooner or later...

#14 User is offline   emr_ambush_alpha67 

• ambush AkA the law
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:ambush_alpha67

Posted 24 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

were i ref argueing is a hole punch. taking off your mask is 2 and using walk on paint is 3. if you get 3 punches your out for the weekend.

edit: spelling

This post has been edited by emr_ambush_alpha67: 24 May 2006 - 02:47 PM

~RIP~ Owego Outlaws
NJ TITANS!!! HOW WE ROLLL!!!! SOOOOOUUUTTTHHHH SSSIIIDDDEEE!!!!
~I AM THE SLINKEY~

#15 User is offline   Spike21 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SPIKE21

Posted 25 May 2006 - 04:47 PM

refs are people to they make mistakes

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic