Special Ops Paintball: Need help with my Tippmann A-5 - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Need help with my Tippmann A-5 Need help with some of the parts, etc. Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Zorath69 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:49 AM

i recently bought a a Tippmann A-5 paintball gun. I am still fairly new to paintball and i was wondering about some of parts and things that came with it. first how do you know how high or low the velocity is when adjusting it. where do you use the gun oil on it (like which parts does the gun oil go on). also i am planning on buying a new barrel soon, but i am not sure what to get, i've heard the flatline barrel is good but is it worth it, are there any other barrels that would be cheaper or almost as good as the flatline, or easier to install? last question, are there any parts that i should get that would make a significant difference in the way my gun performs?

this will be the second paintball gun i have owned i used to have a 98 custom

if someone will help me with these questions that would be great

#2 User is offline   NickM 

• Minnesota!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TASTESLIKECHICKEN

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:56 AM

1) Screw on the side of the gun next to the lettering. Counterclockwise makes it go faster, clockwise lower.

2) Oil the o-rings on the bolt, but remember to wipe off the old oil first, otherwise it builds up into a clump of nasty,

3) The Flatline is a good barrel. It gives you more distance. I personally dont think its worth it, bsecasuse I wouldn't be able to adjust to getting that much more distance. A different barrel I would suggest is a J&J Ceramic. Its only $30 and its very nice. If you have more money that that, I would say get a kit. With kits, you can change the backs or add inserts to make the paint fit the bore the best. This is what gives you maximum accuracy. Some nice kits are - Redz Perpperstix kit, Freak kit, Stiffi Switch kit, J&J edge kit.

4) A5 if fine stock. Do you have HPA? If you dont, I reccomend it.
Farmland Paintball Club ~~~Honor~~Integrity~~Community~~~

#3 User is offline   c_riley5169 

• Hi my name is Cam, and I'm a Lounge-aholic
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:CAM51

Posted 24 July 2006 - 08:59 AM

welcome to the forum! :huh:

#4 User is offline   little uncle adam 

• I'm small, but I'll still strike you down on the field
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Little Uncle Adam

Posted 24 July 2006 - 09:03 AM

View PostZorath69, on Jul 24 2006, 11:49 AM, said:

i recently bought a a Tippmann A-5 paintball gun. I am still fairly new to paintball and i was wondering about some of parts and things that came with it. first how do you know how high or low the velocity is when adjusting it. where do you use the gun oil on it (like which parts does the gun oil go on). also i am planning on buying a new barrel soon, but i am not sure what to get, i've heard the flatline barrel is good but is it worth it, are there any other barrels that would be cheaper or almost as good as the flatline, or easier to install? last question, are there any parts that i should get that would make a significant difference in the way my gun performs?

Screw on the right hand side....turn it in to raise velocity....out to raise it.

Oil your o-rings.....bolt....asa....and other working parts in the gun.

The flatline is good but i dont think it is worth the money. You have to use very good quality paint(marbalizers) which gets expensive. I would say and empire 4 pc barrel kit. Well worth the money.

If you are looking to upgrade the gun i would say a palmers regulator.....maybe a stock.....and an e-grip or RT.

Lastly Welcome to the forums.

#5 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• This is the funvee. Not the humdrumvee
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Maj Tom

Posted 24 July 2006 - 10:21 AM

View PostZorath69, on Jul 24 2006, 11:49 AM, said:

1.Do you know how high or low the velocity is when adjusting it.

Only by a chronograph do you know how high or low the velocity is

2.where do you use the gun oil on it

Same places you oil a 98, the hammer, and few drops in the asa covers the rest

3.i've heard the flatline barrel is good but is it worth it

To me not really worth it since the Apex came out, The Apex is the only barrel that can even match the distance of the Flatty, but the best bang for the buck barrel I say is a J&J Ceramic.

4. Any parts that i should get that would make a significant difference in the way my gun performs?

Not really many parts but the one that comes to mind are HPA or a Palmer's Stabilzer

#6 User is offline   Zorath69 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 29 July 2006 - 03:40 PM

hey thanks guys. but i got a couple more questions about some of the things that came up in the reply's.

1what is a palmers regulator or a palmers stabilizer, i tried searching for them i got a couple of results, but most of the time nothing, and what does it do?

2. what does an HPA do?what is it

thanks for the info on the flatline barrel, i needed to know that because i was really thinking about buying one, i decided not to. but while I'm on the subject of barrels, does a barrel such as the BT A-5 Apex barrel systems have a greater advantage over barrel kits such as the Freak kits or vice versa. or is it just personal preference. to me I'm leaning towards a barrel like the BT A-5 Apex Barrel,

http://www.specialopspaintball.com/shop/ca....asp?CAT=110204

3. if you ever used an A-5 and upgraded the parts like put the look, sights barrels stock, etc. which combinations do you like the most for your A-5? what makes your tippmann look sweeter than most ppls thats what im really asking because im the only one in the small town i call home who owns a tippmann A-5 and what im looking for is a sweet look that ppl will awe at.

thank you all for answering these questions and taking time out of your busy schedule to help me with this. thank you again.

#7 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:15 PM

View PostZorath69, on Jul 29 2006, 06:40 PM, said:

1what is a palmers regulator or a palmers stabilizer, i tried searching for them i got a couple of results, but most of the time nothing, and what does it do?

2. what does an HPA do?what is it

3. if you ever used an A-5 and upgraded the parts like put the look, sights barrels stock, etc. which combinations do you like the most for your A-5?

Palmer's Stabilizer regulates the input pressure of the propellant (CO2) in doing so it eliminates the spikes commonly found with Co2 expanding from a liquid to a gas due to temp fluctuations therefore increasing the velocity consistency.

HPA (AKA Nitro, air, Compressed air) is as you can tell is just compressed air and is far more consistent than CO2 and isn't effected by temp variations

Most upgrades are preferance but if you are curious check out some of the markers in the Tippmann picture thread Here

#8 User is offline   06shocker&ion 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:06shocker&ion

Posted 29 July 2006 - 04:30 PM

[quote name='Maj Tom' date='Jul 29 2006, 03:15 PM' post='845315']
[quote name='Zorath69' post='845269' date='Jul 29 2006, 06:40 PM']
for a barrel i would suggest buying a 14'' SLY with the barrel back kit, the barrel backs are what makes it possible for your gun to shoot different size paintballs, this will come in handy because if u entered a tourny, and u can't use your paint you have to use the paint they give u, no matter what size it is u can shoot it at its best, having a barrel the same caliber as the paintballs gives u better accuracy and etc etc. The reason i suggest a 14'' sly is because:

1.) 14'' is the best size for a medium rifleman who plays all positions

2.) the SLY barrel is carbon fiber which means the barrel is:

stronger than steel, really light, cool looking, and helps silence your gun when shooting, which can come in handy when u need to keep a low-profile.

and then i also suggest you then buy an apex barrel and an adaptor sleeve sold at undergroundmodshop.com that way, you can attach an apex tip to your sly barrel so now you can do the following:

shoot farther than all people who do not have an apex barrel,

shoot even quieter than what the sly barrel shot before

looks like you have a silencer on

can shoot around objects and all that stuff (thats what the apex does)

have a really light really strong and really quiet barrel

and plus the apex tip doesn't way really anything, i asked maj tom about this awhile ago and he told me the apex tip weighs like two empty soda cans.

etc

this is what i am saving up for now and i think it is a great setup, i explained why above. thats my advice on a barrel

#9 User is offline   Zorath69 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 01 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

Hey, i know i already asked this but im still having trouble with oiling my gun down, whats asa mean, and where is that, and where are the other places?

i think thats my only question for now. thanks

#10 User is offline   Dusty1 

• Team Titans
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dusty1

Posted 01 August 2006 - 11:54 AM

Dont be intimidated by the internal workings of your A5.It's really easy to take apart with the field strip pins.Keep your manuel handy that came with your marker.For me after each use,I'll strip down one of my A5's complete,clean and lightly oil the O Rings. Remember to keep your manuel handy so you can identify the parts and the position they lay in.

You was also asking about some upgrades such as stocks,barrels,sights,and power sources (Co2,HPA,No2)here is one great mod you can do for free and it also helps quieten down your marker and lets it get full use of air. If you take your A5 apart and remove the powertube,bolt,and ect you will notice where the marker was milled,and it will have a rough texture to it,you can polish this down to a mirror like finish to allow the enternal parts to slide free and reduce friction.Careful how much you do remove,but for a free mod it's one of the best I can tell you about.

Stocks,this is up to the player what he/she feels comfortable with.You'll want to concider clearence when wearing your mask,so you can sight down your marker and have a comfortable form.Barrels, Flatlines are great barrels,as is the Apex.Just dont think you can add one of these types barrels and expect to go robin hooding everything in your sights,because it WONT happen,until you adjust it,match paint,and find a FPS your combination likes.(which for flattys is around 265 fps)

I understand you are proud of your A5,and congrats to you,let me give you a hint though,I went the buy everything you see route,and have spent Thousands of dollars on upgrades that actually did nothing to help my play style.So be careful,my opinion is "KEEP IT SIMPLE".Play for awhile,and study while in a game,"WHAT can I do that will help my marker take advantage" Good luck and remember safety is the best and cheapest mod upgrade one can do.
Posted Image

This is 3 of my 5 A5's
Cold Steel SL8R - Midnight Stealth SL94-
www.titanspaintball.com MVT 2009 Viper RTS Sherwood Forest

#11 User is offline   König 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 01 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

Looks like most of it has been covered, but I would say get a stock that lets you see down the ironsights. You can get more accureate first shots. The SAW stock, dogleg are the two main ones. I have used them both, and ordered a SAW a few hours ago. It does the same thing for about half the price (I got mine from paintball-online.com for $45.) They both allow more than enough mask clearance, and the wire thing on the back of the SAW lets go bring up to your shoulder so you're looking right down the sights.

Those are three of the coolest looking A-5's that I have ever seen. I just noticed that mine is going to be just like the top right one, except with a Barska 50mm scope. Wierd.

This post has been edited by König: 01 August 2006 - 06:14 PM

IPB Image

#12 User is offline   Jaron 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Jaron

Posted 02 August 2006 - 03:34 PM

First off, as has been said, DON'T mod out something just because it looks cool. A great deal of the time you're just wasting money and adding weight. As for a few recommended options, these are things that I use with my A-5 and have come to count on. Realize this is just from my own limited experience, your mileage will vary.

1) HPA tank - this should be a set it and forget it type thing. It keeps a consistent pressure regardless of environmental temp and is much easier on your gun internals. You can usually fill it for free or very cheap as well.

2) Stock w/ remote line - I grew up using real firearms and so got used to the sites and weight balance. Using a tank as a shoulder stock makes the gun back heavy and doesn't feel natural to me. Getting a stock, particularly an air-through variety to use with remote lines, gets the heavy tank off your gun and onto your back where the weight is almost meaningless. It also puts the center of weight between your two hands, very close to where a normal firearm balances. Having a full hopper will add a little to the muzzle side, but it's not too bad. The one advantage to keeping your air on-gun is that you can get your marker profile more compact. This can be useful when firing around corners or other situations where space is a premium. Some people like folding stocks to get around this, but I've never been a fan. Every folding stock that I've tried was too flimsy. But this is probably because I'm used to good solid rifle stocks.

3) Barrel - the only barrel I've ever used is the stock A-5 and a 14" Stiffi. It's carbon fiber so it's light, durable, and does indeed soften the report of my gun. Looking back, I wish I got the 12" or even 10" because 14" sometimes gets in the way due to the length. The other thing about the Stiffi is that it has a large bore size ( .691 ) so getting paint to match can be tricky. The best matches I've found are Polar Ice and Evil ( if anyone has found something better, please let me know. )

4) Sights - the best way to improve your accuracy is to know exactly what you're aiming at. Getting a simple sight will help in this regard like no other. I wouldn't bother getting a scope or any magnification ( even 2x is too much in my mind, ) just a nice red dot or occluded sight. With an A-5 you'll likely need an offset sight rail to get around the cyclone feeder and hopper ( unless you get a dogleg stock. ) Just install the site, then zero it in at your usual encounter range ( mine's currently set to 20 yards but that's longer than most people's I expect. )

If I think of anything else I'll throw up another post.

#13 User is offline   Maj Tom 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2006 - 08:59 PM

View PostZorath69, on Aug 1 2006, 12:48 PM, said:

Hey, i know i already asked this but im still having trouble with oiling my gun down, whats asa mean, and where is that, and where are the other places?

i think thats my only question for now. thanks

The ASA s where you screw th Co2 tank in, put a few (4-7 drops) in side the ASA, then ***Remove the Barrel*** and fire the marker to work the oil around. That's sfficent for average usage. But every once and awhile you'll want to completly disassemble your marker and clean it.

#14 User is offline   Insane Rifleman 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Insane Rifleman

Posted 03 August 2006 - 09:02 PM

i have a a-5 with a flatline and its awesome it is worth it to get

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic