• You cannot reply to this topic

Sniper Style Gun Wondering which way to go Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   OneShotKillBSM 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:OneShotKillBSM

Posted 21 March 2010 - 12:26 AM

Really I've had it put to me two ways, well three really.

And PLEASE non of that "There is no such thing as a sniper in paintball games" reponse.

Tippman w/Flatline (Has the Range, not the accuracy)

Ion Sp-8 (Add a certain barrel it's supposed to get good range and also fire very quietly)

Pump Marker (Told these are the most accurate)

Curious as to what PB pro's think

#2 User is offline   Legato 

• AKA reapermen - AKA Legaqua - Resident Brass Whore
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator

Posted 21 March 2010 - 01:18 AM

View PostOneShotKillBSM, on Mar 21 2010, 02:26 AM, said:

And PLEASE non of that "There is no such thing as a sniper in paintball games" reponse.

Don't bother trying to snipe with this...it's louder then an elephant walking on bubblewrap and not accurate with a flatline...sure you can reach out and touch someone with distance, but good luck hitting what you are aiming for..used mine for 2 years before i put it down for an APex and knew right away that was the right decision
Ion Sp-8 (Add a certain barrel it's supposed to get good range and also fire very quietly)
Decent choice, not a fan of SP personally, but it is a good cheap marker..add an Apex barrel and you can go longer range
Being a pump guy myself, only markers i've shot the last three years, can't remember last time i shot a semi, i can say they are no more accurate then any other semi auto marker. We just get that said about pumps because we actually aim our shots, cause we only get one before we have to pump or whatnot, which affects your aim...so we can't "walk" our shots in like a semi can to hit their target...we kinda have to have the shot to begin with...

If you are new to the sport avoid pump play yet...it is very hard at first...very and very discouraging...you will be eliminated a lot until you totally re-learn how to read and play the field. And it can suck, for like the first few months or more, depending on how long it takes for you to learn the basics.

Look at the SP marker for now...it is the right price and works well enough...personally i wouldn't get an Apex, and instead get used to being in range of your targets, up close and personaly, you will find your hits/kill ration goes way up the closer you get to your target, the easier it is to aim (sure they can hit you as easy, but long balling all day is a waste of paint and time)

Not a pro by any means...just a joe schmo who balls when he can since 02.
"I think wearing camo is dishonorable. No honorable player would pretend to be a tree or bush."Posted Image My Gallery - Ninja/Pirate Alliance - Marker Animations Posted ImageSpec Ops Posted Image Pump CrewSig Rules - Gen Rules & Regs - Avatar Rules - Warn Level/Reduction - Forum FAQs - Ultimate Pump Sticky - PDT

#3 User is offline   Xakk 

• got boost?
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2010 - 08:34 AM

Id go with SP.

Ions are cheap, really quiet, have eyes to avoid paint breaks, and most of all, Ions are extremely consistent. They can be used for speedball (caped at 17bps - tourney speed) but are great with single shots as well. That means that you wont be going out to buy a new marker if you find out that "sniping" isn't for you. They also require you to use N2 which is a more consistent air source than Co2 and will give you a reliable FPS so that your shots go the same distance, every time.

If you get a tippy with a flatline, well... you will probably love it because you don't know any better. :P

Pumps... Never owned one, tried playing with one a couple times and found it much more challenging. At least with an Ion if someone gets to close for comfort you can walk the trigger to provide some cover fire, pump... not so much. However, it was a lot of fun to get players with high end electros out with 1 paintball. :P

Don't waste your money on making your Marker "look" like a sniper. For example, you don't need a scope, a stock, or any fancy tactical rails, they are simply a waste of money. However, if you feel like you want a red dot scope on your marker for some reason, you can get a body kit for the Ion that will give you a tactical rail, cost about 70$.

Don't waste your money on getting a fancy hopper system like a qloader, one that will involve a 45 degree angle, or a longbow mag system, just so you can see down the barrel of your marker. Do it the old fashion way and tilt your marker slightly to the right. As far as hoppers are concerned, spend the money, get a halo or a rotor. Don't tell me you wont be shooting that fast, it doesn't matter. In times of need you wont be chopping paint and your barrel will not need to be squeegeed every 5 minutes. There is no since in having a marker that shoots slow, might as well have one marker that can do it all. It might not look like a sniper, but trust me, you will be able to pop off some very accurate single shots and not have to worry about paint breaks, hopper misfeeds, dry firing, inconsistency, weight, or being extremely loud.

As far as barrels are concerned, I found that a 16in SP Progressive barrel matched my local fields paint. It doesn't have any fancy tricks like the flatline or the apex, but it is more consistent than both. :tup:

#4 User is offline   Wh0pp3r 

• Squad Marksman
  • PipPip

Posted 21 March 2010 - 07:35 PM

Options for range:
(No marker/barrel shoots farther except for these:

1. Flatline barrel on a Tippmann. As stated before: loud, very inaccurate, can be harsh on paint.

2. Apex attachment for many types of barrels. I would recommend this to you. It will add a little bit of range but mostly just gives a flatter trajectory BUT that can also lead to floating balls and being unable to get breaks after a certain distance. You can also do trick shots with it.

3. A First Strike capable Tiberius marker. (First Strike paintballs have rifled fins and are similar to a rifled slug and are magfed into certain Tiberius Arms markers) If you want to be as close to a real sniper then heres your best bet. GREAT accuracy, an extra 200 feet in max range, AND First Strike paintball maintains its velocity longer that a regular paintball so you can get break at long range. This is where scopes can become handy. You CAN be getting body shots @ over 100 yards. WARNING!!!: Expensive specialty paintballs, wind can really throw off your long range shot, and in general you should get to know the game better before jumping into this.

CONCLUSION:

Go to a couple local proshops if you can and ask to see some different markers in your price range (remember you will still need money for mask, tank, vest/podpack, jersey, pants). Look for something that you find is comfortable to hold! A stock will help steady your aim although some like to fore-go them for maneuvarability. Scopes are almost useless except for First Strike and for scouting far ahead. Red-dots MIGHT help but everyone has different experiences with them. Accuracy with paintballs is determined by a paint to barrel match. Generally you want the size of the paintball to be as close gauge/bore of the barrel. Pick HPA (high pressured air) over CO2 if you can, this will make your shots more consistent.

Don't worry too much about being a sniper and just focus on playing paintball to improve your skills all-around first. After you're 100% comfortable you can get really creative if you want and become a sniper, heavy gunner, etc or something of your own imagination. Don't go out and buy a bunch of accessories for your guns right away. Add stuff only after playing first and think: do I really need it? will it really improve my game or should I just practice the basic more? Later on you can buy shrouds, magazines etc to make your marker look however you want. But also remember that money saved from buying that $40 barrel over that $200 dollar barrel kit leaves another $160 to go out and play. No gear will make you significantly better but practice will.

Most of all remember that paintball is all about having fun. There is no point in playing if you aren't having a good time

This post has been edited by Wh0pp3r: 21 March 2010 - 07:37 PM

-Vinny
T9 Longbow

#5 User is offline   asesino silencioso 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 21 March 2010 - 10:32 PM

View PostOneShotKillBSM, on Mar 21 2010, 12:26 AM, said:

Get a t9, you won't regret it.
If you are driving thru the desert, and your canoe blows a tire, how many pancakes does it take to jack up your house?
Purple, because ice cream has no bones.

#6 User is offline   Wh0pp3r 

• Squad Marksman
  • PipPip

Posted 23 March 2010 - 04:15 PM

I disagree with the last poster.

Mag fed can be absolutely awesome BUT it is not for everyone.

I recommend getting to know the game better first so you have a good idea of how much paint you shoot and your playing style/preferance.

I own a Tiberius T9 and it is a great marker but it is not a good idea to jump into one right away. (They also run more than $300)

Personally I think you should buy a Tippmann A5 and slap a stock and new barrel on there which can be done for under $300. Buy an mask, HPA tank, a podpack/vest, and you're set. Over time you can add things to the A5 if you want to (it is the most customizable paintball marker out there.)
-Vinny
T9 Longbow

#7 User is offline   OneShotKillBSM 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:OneShotKillBSM

Posted 08 April 2010 - 02:57 AM

Lol I suppose I should have clarified that I am not new too paintball completely. I've also alrady purchased tanks, remote line, pods, vest, cammies, and am rocking a 98C I got for a steal.

Going on, I'll say as for 'sniping' Im' not a hang in hte rear guy, but whatI'm looking for is really a balance or extreme of being able to put a shot where I want it from a ways away in order to provide better cover, or be quiet enought hat when I don my Ghillie I can throw a few b alls without being easily zeroed in on by others.

As for the Q-Loader, yeah I've kinda decided against it as since I would be if anything a Combat sniper, I don't wanna be limited to 100 PB per podx5 and then a long ass reload where in I am useless. I think if I'm going ot be doing precision I'll just carry a Winchester 50 round mini pod that I'll switch too when I want a smaller profile.

What I like about Tippman is the woodsball durability and Warantee.

The smart parts I know NOTHING about lol. But It came ona high recommendation, but the guy was also sponsored by smart parts.

Also the stock, look and etc to me is important. I'm a mil-sim guy and I hate the look of 'extreme' style markers. Just can't get past it.

I think I'll probably pass on the flatline. I odn't like how exlosive the shots are sound wise. But I am leaning oin towards a Hammerhead Barrel for accuracy and Apex. Or Hammerhead and custom silncer/rain shroud for silence. I understand with some silencer buils there's a Legality issue, but a pal I met can build modular ones that I can assemble yo use and disaseemble to transport. so I think I'm good there.

And After all this lol, and I do appreciate it. I think I'm going to go with a Phenom, I like the Ak-47 philosophy, fewer moving parts, fewever screw ups. I'll do it with a Hammerhead first, then see about Hammerhead Apex. Maybe try a Sniper barrel if there's a nice one i can try out from a buddy. I've heard rave revies about Phenoms and since I've got the 98c with Flatline, I don't need to rush to a new gun. Don'tmind waiting a little for a Phenom. What do you guys think of the Phenom?

#8 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 April 2010 - 09:18 AM

If you want to be quiet while making those shots stay the heck away from Tippmann's. Although since you are more concerned about looks, they offer the most milsim options. Honestly, the A-5 & X-7 are not upgrades to the 98, sure they have some nicer features but they are basically the same thing you have now. The Phenom however is considerably quieter (much like a mag) than its predecessors & I've heard a lot of good things about it. In it you have a butt-load of milsim add-ons, semi quiet operation & good rate of fire. There are much quieter markers w/ much higher rates of fire, but you hate the look of "extreme" style markers so we won't go there.

On a side note... the SP-1 is a quality entry level electro w/ milsimish looks. Also, BT has the TM-7 & 15 that have those looks as well.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#9 User is offline   TREE FITTY 

• Time to get to business...
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:TIPPMANN6791

Posted 08 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

I disagree with the T9 comments thus far.

If you can fork the money, about 400 if you want the mags or First strike, go ahead and get a T9. what I did for sniping?

- Use the bottom-line adapter or the remote adapter that you can get for the mags. You CAN put a hopper on the T9, and lo, it's any other semi marker out there. And it has the mil-sim looks that people like.

-Get four mags. One with the bottom-line or remote adapter, and three loaded normally. Sometimes, you run out of air in the middle of the game. Duh. So you got three mags with air. Notice you still got the hopper. So keep it on the hopper setting, and you have 24 more shots per mag. 3 more mags, that's a total of 72 shots. That, if you're sniping, will get you through the game.

-There IS a barrel compatible with an Apex tip for the T9. I believe it's on Opsgear.com;
http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/...aintball+Barrel

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/...s+Plus+APEX+Tip

You can add that extra range with the T9 if you so choose.

- Lastly, there is a possibility that you will want to try First strike rounds. Hey! You got a T9! Go ahead and get the first strike kit and go crazy. Just take off the Apex tip before you try it.

Quite frankly, I did not need the First Strike rounds. They're mad expensive for me, but yes they are a beautiful thing. I use a T9 right four mags and a hopper right now in the set up I described- Compressed air with remote line, when that runs out, I got 3 other mags. It's a nifty set up.

On a side note,
I dropped my gear three times my last time out to make a run for cover or flags. My gear being my vest, air, pods, grenades, etc. But I put the mags in my pockets and kept my marker. The T9 allowed me to do that; if it were any other marker, I'd have to take my air with me, or leave the marker behind.

Hope you find a nice sniper setup. Hope I helped too.

did I die for a second there?...

#10 User is offline   Wh0pp3r 

• Squad Marksman
  • PipPip

Posted 08 April 2010 - 08:43 PM

Well now that you have said that you are not quite so new to paintball then getting a T9 might be a good idea such as the last poster said.

The T9 offers quite few different ways you can run it:
Magfed using 12 grams.
Hopperfed with remote line.
Magfed AND hopperfed
You can take it down to on.ly a pistol.
Add an Apex tip.
Run on-gun air/co2 with the Lapco Bottomline kit.
Special Ops Longbow mag system.
And with a conversion kit, First Strike rounds.

Try to think about how many rounds you use in a game and how many you need/like to carry (if you carry more for a scenario game). Playing limited ammo/magfed can be frustrating at first but can be EXTREMELY lucrative resulting. Just ask any pump player.

Just remember to think long and hard before buying. You may need to get different gear to fit your new magfed demands.

T9s are a blast and if you decide to invest in one I'm sure you'll have an awesome experience.
-Vinny
T9 Longbow

#11 User is offline   SNIPER TY 

• Furtim, Patientia, Veneratio
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:SNIPER TY

Posted 12 April 2010 - 05:41 AM

i get this question a lot seein as i customise all my markers. my answer to all of them: get a good base marker. not to cheap but nothing real expensive eather. tippmanns usualy work just fine. i started with a WGP autococker trilogy scenario edition and that worked ok but was always hard to mod. then go ahead and put a 14" barrel on it with a good paint fit and i highly recomend running remote air. then take mental notes during your games. if you find that you are regularly dropin to the deck to take a good shot, go ahead and write down "bi-pod" on your "wish list". then if you figure you could realy use some extra range, write down "apex barrel". your wishlist can be however long or short you want it to be. and wenever you get enough cash set aside to buy the next thing on your list, go ahead and buy it. keep your marker as a running work-in-progress until you are completely satisfied with it. then you can still always change it if you want. this way you gain good expirience and build a good marker that fits you. that bein said: good luck and hope to meet you in the bush some day.

:) SNIPER TY :ghillie:
Don't run, you will only die tired!!!
A case of paint for you means 2,000 paintballs but for me that's the body count
"And God gave man three things with which to fix all of man's problems: WD-40, duct tape, and a hammer."
are u DO NOT DODGE THE SWEAR FILTERS Warning Issued kidding me, that's the only thing i can say
TEAM CAPTAIN OF SHADOW UNIT
COMMANDER OF CAROLINA SILENCE: MERCINARY SNIPERS
View My Special Ops Brigade Page
commander # 145 / sniper # 1 / broadsword # 119

#12 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:46 AM

The only excuse for owning a bipod is because it looks cool.

#13 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:20 AM

Bipods are occasionally useful for steadying aim. While most markers are so inaccurate, relatively speaking, a bipod might not make much difference. That said, I suppose the fact that markers are so inaccurate, relatively speaking, that could be an argument for adding a bipod and whatever edge that might provide. It really depends on personal preference and how you play.

I wouldn't recommend one just for aesthetics, though. If I need to rest my marker on something to steady my aim when playing the sniper role, I usually just rest my marker barrel on my ALICE or roll up a sniper veil and rest it on a log or rock. I have a bipod, but for woodsball it usually stays in my ALICE. It's a little more useful for urban style play and my heavier marker. For woodsball I use my T68 pistol that I converted into a longbow-style marker and without a bipod.

Here she is...

Posted Image

This post has been edited by Warpaint: 03 May 2010 - 10:42 AM

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   HeadshotPhantom 

• Rockin', Cockin', and Class Stockin'
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:HeadshotPhantom

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:20 AM

You have pics of it in the Marker Gallery? That sounds pretty cool.

#15 User is offline   MooSE34 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:MOOSE34

Posted 04 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

That's a sweet T68, nice mode man!

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic