Special Ops Paintball: Bruising Information - Special Ops Paintball

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bruising Information What about those bruises?

#1 User is offline   Damifino 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:NEOG Outlaws

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:39 AM

Bruising Information

I got interested in bruises and started surfing the net. Here is some useful information on bruises. All this information is directly copied from various medical-type websites. I am not a health professional. There is tons of info relating to how you get bruises, how to prevent them, unknown causes, child abuse, etc. For obvious reasons I did not include that information. I think we all know how we get our bruises and how to prevent them.

Bruising
A bruise is an area of skin discoloration. A bruise occurs when small blood vessels break and leak their contents into the soft tissue beneath the skin.
There are three types of bruises:
Subcutaneous -- beneath the skin
Intramuscular -- within the belly of the underlying muscle
Periosteal -- bone bruise
Bruises can last from days to months, with the bone bruise being the most severe and painful.

Bruises Symptoms
Initially, a fresh bruise may actually be reddish. It will then turn blue or dark purple within a few hours, then yellow or green after a few days as it heals.
A bruise is commonly tender and sometimes even painful for the first few days, but the pain usually goes away as the color fades.
Because the skin is not broken in a bruise as with a scrape or cut there is no risk of infection.
What does a bruise look like and why does it change color?
Bruises change in appearance over time and it is possible to tell by looking at a bruise how old it is. When it first appears, a bruise will be reddish looking, reflecting the color of the blood in the skin. By 1-2 days, the reddish iron from the blood undergoes a change and the bruise will appear blue or purple. By day 6, the color changes to green and at day 8-9, the bruise will appear yellowish-brown. In general, the bruised area will be repaired by the body in 2-3 weeks after which the skin will return to normal. On occasion, instead of going away, the area of a bruise will become firm and may actually start increasing in size. It may also continue to be painful. There are two major causes for this. First, if a large collection of blood is formed under the skin or in the muscle, instead of trying to clean up the area, the body may wall the blood off causing what is called a hematoma, which is nothing more than a small pool of blood that is walled off.

What is the treatment for bruising?
There are a couple of things that you can do to prevent or minimize bruising after an injury. First, try a cold compress. Put ice in a plastic bag, wrap the bag in a towel, and place it on the injured area. Commercial ice packs are also available, but a bag of frozen peas makes an excellent substitute. The cold reduces the blood flow to the area and therefore limits bleeding into the skin and reduces the size of the bruise. The cold also decreases the inflammation in the area of the injury and limits swelling in this way as well. After about 48 hours, heat in the form of a warm washcloth applied to the bruise for 10 minutes or so 2 or 3 times a day may increase blood flow to the bruised area allowing the skin to reabsorb the blood more quickly.

The drugs you take
The amount of bruising may be affected by medications which interfere with blood clotting (and thus cause more bleeding into the skin or tissues). These drugs include many medications called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory (e.g., ibuprofen/Advil, Nuprin and naproxen/Aleve) as well as over-the-counter medications, such as aspirin.

Nutrition
Eat dark green, leafy vegetables and alfalfa sprouts (Yea, Right!) to ensure adequate quantities of the blood-clotting agent vitamin K. These foods also contain iron, which is important to combat anemia, a possible cause of bruising. Citrus fruits contain vitamin K and are high in vitamin C and bioflavonoids, both of which are needed for strong capillaries. Fatty fish such as salmon or mackerel promote blood clotting with vitamin D, a nutrient which is also provided by sunlight

Nutritional Supplements
Easy bruising with slow healing is often due to a lack of vitamin C. Bioflavonoids should always be included in the vitamin C formula, as they exist together in nature and work synergistically. Vitamin E also helps prevent and heal bruises. Both vitamins C and E are antioxidants, which prevent free-radical tissue damage. Bromelain also accelerates healing.
Bruise From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruise
So, there you go. Now you know about bruising. My only advice is; the best way to prevent bruising is to be quick on the trigger and cause them in others.
If you aren't living on the edge, then you are taking up too much room.
http://midhudsonvalleywoodspaintballers.freeforums.org/

#2 User is offline   Barteh 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 29 November 2008 - 07:58 AM

Ooh. That's actually really useful. Good job!
Might go under "safety" though.

#3 User is offline   Millslane 

• i give up
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Millslane

Posted 29 November 2008 - 09:20 AM

Rub some dirt on it :happy:

#4 User is offline   Crazie Ivan 

• I love it when a plan comes together
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Crazie Ivan

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:12 PM

Good info thanks for posting, not that anyone was but if anyone was wondering those small blood vessels are called capillaries.
Insert something clever here. Preferably something that makes me look cool.

#5 User is offline   lethalpanther 

• OOO a lizard!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:lethalpanther1

Posted 29 November 2008 - 01:18 PM

nice post. personally, i dont really care about welts or bruising since they go away on their own after a while, but for those who care about their image....great job!
It's only a game, you don't need to be afaid of anyone, except for ONE person. Its not the teenager with a marker worth more than your car. Its not the SPPL player with about 35 BPS firing rate. Its the 40 year old guy lying in a corner, taking a nap before the game begins. His camo will probably be old, and he will most likely be toting a pump. He's been playing since before you were born, and if he mentions how much he didn't like when he had to play with oil based paintballs, make SURE he is on your team. This guy is a ghost.-Match99
Your grace...Rhaegar fought valiantly. Rhaegar fought nobly. Rhaegar fought honourably. And Rhaegar died. - Ser Jorah Mormont

#6 User is offline   slowerpig81 

• This man is a Beast with that Phantom. -thisissparta
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:slowerpig81

Posted 29 November 2008 - 06:50 PM

Yeah I just let bruises heal. Mot much that you can do that is worth the effort. IMO ice is not really worth it if you hit your head. I haven't put ice on a burn for a while either.

The only bruises that are annoying are the ones from gun recoil, especially if you are shooting a lot. That's why I bought a semi shotgun and have a recoil pad on it. I can shoot it a lot and not even notice anything. The recoil spring spreads out the impulse, and makes it less on the skin and the tendon/muscle in your shoulder pocket, as opposed to a pump or break open where all the recoil is transferred into your shoulder all at once.

#7 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 02 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

Pshh.

Im a manly man, I Punch my bruises!

good post :laugh:

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 02 December 2008 - 01:33 PM

#8 User is offline   Spades 

• forum pizzimp
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:sgt. spades

Posted 22 December 2008 - 08:53 PM

lol, nice write-up, i still have a ring shaped bruise (i wonder what its from...) on my thigh from september... lol
actually i think its a scar, because, it was bleeding like, OMG BAD, it broke skin =)

This post has been edited by Spades: 22 December 2008 - 08:54 PM

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users