• This topic is locked

Mountain Horse Riding Going Where Dirtbikes Can't

#1 User is offline   Sniper Cowboy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Christian Cowboy

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:39 PM

Hey, riding horses in the mountains is something my dad and I used to do a lot, so I figured I'd write about it and see who else does it. We used to go riding mostly in the Kakwa river country in the Rocky Mountains south of Grande Prairie and north of Grande Cache (Alberta border with British Columbia). Beautiful country in there with a lot of trails and history to go with them. One time we road up on Horn Ridge, and while we were on the south face, we had the blessing of watching a couple Big Horn Sheep butt heads. I have never heard a sound like that made by animals before. It's literally like a rifle had been shot! They hit bloody hard, and then just shake it off and go back at it! Pretty awesome to watch :) I got other stories, but I want to hear others first. Locations are a plus, but not a must if you want to keep them secret.
"Go get my flamethrower." Doc of the Whiteboard Webcomic

#2 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:50 PM

My girlfriend has talked a few times about going on a camping/horseback trip during the summer, and I thought I'd look for her birthday but can't afford it at this time :( (April 1).

Know any good companies that go for trips over a few days that aren't too expensive?
Where else do you like to go and why?

#3 User is offline   Sniper Cowboy 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Brigade Name:Christian Cowboy

Posted 18 March 2011 - 09:13 PM

I myself don't know anything about the companies that provide horseback trips, our family usually went into the mountains by ourselves. My parents did recently go on a guided trip with some friends, so I'll try to get some info from them. As for areas I've ridden in, well I've been into Porcupine Flats, Kakwa lake, Sherman Meadows, Dead Horse Meadow, Sulphur Mountain, the Sherman meadow cabins (lots of history there), Horn ridge, all over Dinosaur Mountain (so named because of its shape, not for any fossils that I know of), Two Lakes, Jarvis Lakes (beautiful blue water, just hard to get to), Rock Lake, different parts of the Torrens River, and other trails and areas that for the life of me I can't remember the names of (I went to most of these places when I was too young to remember all the details). I'll try to find more info on guiding outfits for you, but I'll be honest, I don't know a whole lot about the outfits in my area, let alone your area.
"Go get my flamethrower." Doc of the Whiteboard Webcomic

#4 User is offline   Mobles 

• Better than Mack
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:T-Freak

Posted 19 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

I miss having horses :/
Life is short, get off your couch
[IMG-]http://i215.photobuc...eak/meeko-1.jpg[-/IMG]
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:57 AM

View PostSniper Cowboy, on 18 March 2011 - 10:13 PM, said:

I myself don't know anything about the companies that provide horseback trips, our family usually went into the mountains by ourselves. My parents did recently go on a guided trip with some friends, so I'll try to get some info from them. As for areas I've ridden in, well I've been into Porcupine Flats, Kakwa lake, Sherman Meadows, Dead Horse Meadow, Sulphur Mountain, the Sherman meadow cabins (lots of history there), Horn ridge, all over Dinosaur Mountain (so named because of its shape, not for any fossils that I know of), Two Lakes, Jarvis Lakes (beautiful blue water, just hard to get to), Rock Lake, different parts of the Torrens River, and other trails and areas that for the life of me I can't remember the names of (I went to most of these places when I was too young to remember all the details). I'll try to find more info on guiding outfits for you, but I'll be honest, I don't know a whole lot about the outfits in my area, let alone your area.

No worries - it doesn't necessarily have to be IN my area - my girlfriend would go anywhere for horses. I spotted that new show Cavalia in the paper yesterday and would have loved to take my girlfriend but can't work during school - there was a (2nd highest price) "Horse Lover's" ticket that allowed you first row seats and a visit to the stables after the show (run by a creator of Cirque du Soleil).

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users