Special Ops Paintball: Improving The Attitude of The Game? - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Improving The Attitude of The Game? Does it need improvement? Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   VD26 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 February 2011 - 08:13 AM

Hey everyone,

For starters, this will be a long read, and I hope I can clearly state what the issue is I'd like discussion on. Also, there will be reference to players of certain ages that I will like to clarify, I am NOT looking to insult anyone or place any biased accusation. The following is a write up of my observations as a player throughout the years, and my overall feeling of paintball's atmosphere these days. Hope to get a lot of feedback from you guys. Let's read on.

So I've been involved in paintball for about 8 years now. I started in my teens in a local tourny league on a 3 man speedball team with my best friends. After we got out of the "pro" scene, I've been dedicated to woodsball ever since. I regularly attened Big Games/Scenario Games ever since getting a taste of something more immersive than capture the flag. In my near decade of experience, I've noticed a significant change in the sport itself; for starters, just the fact that paintball is being challenged now as something else besides a sport. The point I would like to discuss my view on, as well as hear some feedback from everyone else is "does anyone else feel the quality of the game has dropped due to an overall poor attitude and negative theme? If so, how does one help to improve the quality in morale of his fellow players, which of whom he may not even know they are?"

There is automatically the argument of "well dude, to each their own; people are going to do what they want." I've heard that time and time again, but is that really the case? With every event I go to, out of the hundreds of players around me, I only see a handful of those actually dedicated to the game. They are proud to mention the name "paintball," and have a practical take on what the game play is all about. My observation of the player populous involves mostly "young guns;" players whose age ranges from 14-18. This is a HUGE gap in maturity (not always the case,) and may very well be an uncontrollable factor. Typically with this group, you see "kids" running around with markers tricked out as "M4's" and "AK's." I have no problem with this. I had an old Tippmann A5 tricked out to that of an AR-15; very similar to the setup I would have with a real steel AR-15 (firearms lingo.) BUT...I fully recognize and appreciate the fact that paintball CANNOT be ANYTHING close to a real life situation. Unfortunately, I think this younger generation takes from what they see from the unintelegible "shooter" films and video games, and apply it to paintballing. I've had players running around barking orders, so I'm thinking "oh, good for them, they're really using their brain." Then of course, it falls utterly short when the person has NO IDEA what they're even saying (real example: "Cover Fire!" "uh...no one's shooting, you gonna move to another bunker? No? Ok, you don't need cover fire." There's players out there looking for a MILSIM feel, and that's great! I've always had a knack for realistic tactical applications in a recreational "game." On the side of paintball, I used to heavily participate in a small, nearly "exclusive" field using airsoft; which most of the players (also the founders of the field) were all veterans of deployments in campaigns, such as Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom, even as far back as the near end of Vietnam and Granada. EXCELLENT experience, but airsoft declined into everything you DON'T want to be involved in.

Back on topic, I'll reiterate that it is not my intention to bash our young guns. I'm merely stating an observation. Who knows, perhaps its the local crowd I see, perhaps elsewhere the youth is more appropriate and competant with paintball. Moving on, let me also address the older crowd; the 21+ players. From what I've seen, very few are veteran PAINTBALL players. Veterans who have appreicated the SPORT since it's birth. Then...you have the disgruntled middle class joe blow who looks to dish out some serious hurt after a long week of work. These are the guys who cuss their fellow players up and down the field, challenge and intimidate the officials, and look to put a damper into gameplay. This too is found with the young guns, don't get me wrong; we're all capable of being an a**. All in all, with a combination of immaturity and a general "unwelcoming" atmosphere, how can new players get in the game with such a negative experience? And how can the veteran players actually enjoy themselves with all the negativity and lack luster of a "good game?"

What do you guys think can be done? Can anything be done? How does one make a good game with lacking quality?

#2 User is offline   dextonik 

• Grrrrrrr, ARRRG
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:dex.

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

You pretty much said everything I have been wanting to say. I just don't have a lot of time to put it all down due to my busy schedule.

I haven't seen a significant drop in the morality and quality of paintball. Though, I have noticed it has gone down. What really concerns me is not the Joe blows who like to lite up a little kids on the weekends, or the cheaters, who try to wipe just to stay in the game longer, Cause they don't feel like they should be "out" though, that does add to the problem. It's the people who have no respect for the game to begin with, and go just to buy a marker whose sole purpose is to vandalize property or use it on someone who is walking down the sidewalk minding their own business. Of course, this is going to happen no matter what you do. There is always going to be someone out there who wants to have a little "fun" and destroy something.

If it were me, I'd just keep leading by a good example, educate, and stay positive, and maybe some will follow, and some will get the message that they should change their attitude, and some probably won't and stay the same.

This post has been edited by dextonik: 06 February 2011 - 10:23 AM

If you can't hack it, then I suggest you pack it!
I'm on it like white on rice, with a glass of milk in a snow storm.
Doesn't matter what gun you have, as long as you can hit what you're looking at.
Procrastinators of the world unite...TOMORROW

#3 User is offline   Invictusone 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Invictusone

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:33 AM

I have only been playing for 5 years, and I haven't turned 18 yet, but what i see from my fellow minors is distressing. They don't respect the game, the field, or other people.

While I can only speculate what the game was like earlier, I believe that if it had glory days, we can return to them only by "remembering the game" which is that one awesome stickied post.

My 2 cents
I'm not out here to glorify myself
If you are a Christian paintballer add this to your signature
Automaggot 150
--------------------------------------------------------------
My feedback: http://forum.special...howtopic=184491

#4 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:58 AM

At the same time, you can find that sort of thing in ANY sport...

For example, hockey. I quit ... 6-7 years ago (almost 21 now) and I started when I was 5. Why? Just one year, really. I ended up on a team with a couple of raucous clowns who were there to FIGHT. Trouble was, their aggression led them to be the top goalscorers on the team - or they got kicked down out of the higher leagues because of their attitude...

Anyways, they cussed the refs, they cussed the coaches, they cussed their fellow teammates if they didn't pass it to them... sometimes even if that teammate scored anyways. They didn't skate back to help the defence, they bitched about how it was everyone else's fault that we lost except their own. Heck, even if the dressing room, they wanted to play "helmets and gloves" - essentially, putting on a helmet and hockey gloves and just beating about the head of someone else. They would intimidate someone into locking the room so coaches couldn't get in, and go about their reckless stupidity.

They even challenged our ONE goalie regularly - BEFORE games (no goalie = you forfeit). And he was half their size.

I didn't have the toughness to put up with that because our team couldn't form any solidarity and face it together - I have a whole sob story about being bullied for defending who became my friend because people called him "gay" and how I was basically alone when he moved (for years) but anyways... I don't tolerate that anymore. I always try to be patient with new players, I don't bunker them, I don't bonus ball anyone... and I let the players that act like CORNHOLIOS know what I think of them and that they can't play with us if they are going to play that way.

#5 User is offline   VD26 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:11 PM

Oh don't get me wrong; I did read the sticky post (trust me, I wanted to make sure I brushed up on something different and not hijack a topic well-involved in a debate.) I made this post to tackle on specifics of what I've experienced and see if other players out there experienced the same. I want to hear what they do to help not only have a good day for themselves in the field, but their take on what can be done to help out their fellow patrons "re-evolve" a bit into paintball players (woodsball and speedball,) and not have it turn into a hobby of run and gun. I'm glad to see so far that I'm not the only one being a bit "picky" over the game-play. Looking forward to getting more feedback.

#6 User is offline   HOUND1 

• VVVCheese Its!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:AMRAAM11

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

Let me start by saying that while I have been playing for 7 years, I am only 17. Therefore, my opinion and knowledge of paintball 6 or 7 years ago may be flat out wrong, but after that, I can claim some knowledge.

I agree almost entirely with this post. The young kids think they're playing videogames, and some of the older guys are just there to vent. But in the past season and a half, I've noticed a HUGE change in attitude at my local field. I think because the economy took a hit, the people who used to come to get out their anger don't play anymore, and that leaves only the really cool guys and the handful of kids who's parent's pay for their gear. But at my local field, it was never really as bad as you described. We certainly had the buttwipes, but i can only think of a few days a couple years ago that I got too angry at them.

(summary for those who dont like to read lots Posted Image )
In my opinion, in my area, the attitude of the sport is already on the upturn, but it admittedly was kinda bad a few years ago.

This post has been edited by HOUND1: 06 February 2011 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Warpaint 

• "Well...Shall We?"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Warpaint537

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

Want to improve the attitude of the game? Start with your own. I find that with young people in particular, it's better to show people what to do, than to tell them what to do. The problem you face is that there are a lot of poor sportsman out there, with good skills, and sometimes young people emulate behaviors, as well as technique.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." ~ Edmund Burke ~ "Well...shall we?" ~ Hoot, Black Hawk Down
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Krazy8 

• User Defined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Retired/Inactive Moderator
  • Brigade Name:Krazy8

Posted 06 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

Well the truth of the matter is most folks who mention this stuff are veterans of the sport. Having been around long enough to see throught he smoke and mirrors people put up around them at these events.

I look it as being around long enough to see the patterns and identify the good folks from bad fairly quick like. All learned from being involved in the sport long enough.

Some players are who they are and that is it. Some want to be somebody else and try too hard.

With experience comes wisdom. I think that is what is happeing to you VD26. Your experiences color your vision.

#9 User is offline   Animal Mother 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:///Animal Mother///

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:55 PM

View Postdextonik, on 06 February 2011 - 12:21 PM, said:

If it were me, I'd just keep leading by a good example, educate, and stay positive, and maybe some will follow, and some will get the message that they should change their attitude, and some probably won't and stay the same.

QFT !

We all have to start some where, and we can always learn something new, no matter how old/young we are, or how long/short a person has been playing. It's taken me many years to really come to understand this. As always, try to lead by example, but this is not always as easy as one thinks, and I have been guilty of being an (insert bad word) more times then I care to remember...lol

#10 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:37 PM

The first thing I had to learn is while working as a team is key to winning (and having fun) - people don't have as much fun when you yell at them to move up with you. It's better to just move up and show them, even if you get taken out. I'm just glad I asked my girlfriend and she was able to tell me! I felt really bad because some people I brought out during my first year didn't enjoy it much, said I was "too hardcore". Now it's all about fun, and I've found pump play helps me with that - I don't worry about getting out, because I don't expect to own the field. When I do - it's even better!

As people have said, lead by example and just let people enjoy themselves :)

#11 User is offline   Animal Mother 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:///Animal Mother///

Posted 06 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 06 February 2011 - 07:37 PM, said:

Now it's all about fun, and I've found pump play helps me with that

I agree 100% that playing with a pump gun can do wonders for your game.

I used to love slinging paint, but it takes alot of skill, nerves of steel, and good solid tactics, to take on semi's, and even auto's with a pump gun.

People see you running and gunning with a pump, taking hits, then walking off the field with pride, or even better, after you took them out....that's when something clicks, it's like a dog, when you whisper the words...(You wanna treat?)...the ears go up, he thinks he heard something, but he's not quite sure, so he comes over to investigate, that's when you have the perfect opportunity, to educate your fellow paintballing brothers and sisters, on the true meaning of paintball, sportsmanship, fair play, etc, etc.

edit...sp

This post has been edited by Animal Mother: 06 February 2011 - 06:00 PM

#12 User is offline   JaguarShark 

• TOTSUGEKI!!
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Kiriyama9000

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:32 PM

Lead by example.

That is all.

/thread
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 09:34 PM

View PostAnimal Mother, on 06 February 2011 - 05:57 PM, said:

View Postcdrinkh20, on 06 February 2011 - 07:37 PM, said:

Now it's all about fun, and I've found pump play helps me with that

I agree 100% that playing with a pump gun can do wonders for your game.

I used to love slinging paint, but it takes alot of skill, nerves of steel, and good solid tactics, to take on semi's, and even auto's with a pump gun.

People see you running and gunning with a pump, taking hits, then walking off the field with pride, or even better, after you took them out....that's when something clicks, it's like a dog, when you whisper the words...(You wanna treat?)...the ears go up, he thinks he heard something, but he's not quite sure, so he comes over to investigate, that's when you have the perfect opportunity, to educate your fellow paintballing brothers and sisters, on the true meaning of paintball, sportsmanship, fair play, etc, etc.

edit...sp

LOL - plus one for the dog analogy.

#14 User is offline   VD26 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 February 2011 - 10:35 PM

To everyone,

Excellent feedback! I'm really appreciating what I'm reading from you all. I definitely need to take some time to tweek both what I can do for myself and others to improve the game. I actually picked up a pump gun for novelty...though I've yet to actually dare to use it. This upcoming spring could be a good time to dust it off and take it out to the field. I have a few friends who will attend every other big game event with me, which only one out of a group of seven has been acquainted with the game. Though every one says they have a good time and generally fair well with playing the game and listening to pointers from my friend and I, I've never really had a sit down with them to ask how they felt about me giving them said advice. I know during moments where we're pushing up the field or are being overwhelmed, the adrenaline starts pumping and my volume gets cranked up a few notches. To the perspective of a new player or someone who doesn't know me, it could have a negative affect (granted, I'm not swearing or anything derogative, simply putting more emphasis on "MOVE HERE," or "SHOOT THERE!") It is not my goal to create an unrealistic phenomenon of nearly EVERY player at the field to become saints and dedicated paintballers on the side of honor and purity, but really, who wouldn't want to see the ratio of decent, level headed players increase; versus the instable crowd? Of course above all else, its part of the game to have fun and be safe, which I WILL keep on doing for myself at the least; but I'd be kicking myself if I didn't make an attempt to spark an interest in others of a new level of self-control and awareness of ALL that is going on - both on and off the field (I can't count how many times there have been people in the parking lot plinking off rounds, after clearly being told throughout the day NO FIRING ALLOWED OFF THE FIELD.)

Thanks to all the usernames who have shared their time on this topic; I think I can tone down the intensity of my thought process on this now!

Feel free to continue to add or even follow up on thoughts already mentioned. If not for others, I know I'd like to refer to this to help bridge the gaps I'm experiencing now with my paintballing ventures lately. I'll be sure to update this with any new thoughts, concerns, inquiries and hopefully some success/failure stories of trying out the new attitude on the field.

And yeah, +1 on the dog analogy.

This post has been edited by VD26: 06 February 2011 - 10:40 PM

#15 User is offline   Pirate 

• I aim to misbehave.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:PirateCaptain

Posted 06 February 2011 - 11:51 PM

I'd tend to disagree.
I quit playing regularly a couple years back because the attitude at my local field and the scenarios I played at was crap. Players all trying to be the next Lang/Lasoya/Fraige/whoever. Even is scenarios, you'd have the tournament players that were out there for whatever reason.

Slowly started getting back in to it, and I've found (at least in the scenario games) the attitude has gotten better. I had an awesome time at Fulda Gap (except for one guy that got really whiny about something or another). Everyone I met on both sides were awesome. I got up on the other teams lines and tried to do some barrel tags. Got a couple, but then I hung around and chatted with some players. A few of them even wanted to get pictures with the crazy guy with a mohawk and kilt.

My job is to be an asshole. I excel at the position.
We put our glass to the sky and lift up. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya. So raise a pint for the people that aren't with us. And live tonight 'cause you can't take it with ya...
Austin Michelle Cloyd, Forever in my heart. We love you, Ayesha! Rest in Peace Tyler Hackett
Rest in Peace, Dave Brockie! Cam Cam #83

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users