• You cannot reply to this topic

No Love for Leftys. Left handed shooters are not loved Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:16 AM

I'm left handed. Esthetics's are important for me when it comes to marker manipulation (handling). I find it incredible troubling that this idea isn't really taken into account when a marker or a marker accessories developed. The same goes with firearms. I like folding stocks yet I can't find one that folds to the left side of the marker or firearm. It's like, I'm forced to look for it to be custom made and that can be pretty expensive. Are their any left handed shooters that share my sentiments?
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#2 User is offline   Cuy'val Dar  

• 327 G.I.R. Bastogne Bulldogs
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MICHAEL J. CABOOSE

Posted 02 August 2011 - 10:29 AM

My ex girlfriend know exactly what you mean. She had a similar comlaint the one time we played paintball
Posted Image

Doorbells? Seriously? That's the swear filter?
. -Pirate
"Authenticity bro, everyone voids their bowels when they die."
-Guy at end of paintball movie

#3 User is offline   IrishMack 

• Better than You
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2011 - 11:31 AM

I shoot left and right handed...and have never had any issues...maybe scenario stuff is less friendly than speedball gear?
"I could be your third wheel."
"You know that's not a good thing right?"
"Of course it is, it adds more grip, greater stability"

"Gives it color he says, it'll look good he says...Filthy liar" (in regards to Puzuma)

#4 User is offline   1-I 

• Creator of the number 7
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Brigade Name:1-I

Posted 02 August 2011 - 12:24 PM

I have always been amazed by a lefties manipulation of a bolt action rifel, why would you want to lesser your kind by not adapting to our dominate design?

Really I find it amazing how few objects at all in life are made for you guys.
Posted Image

Glory is for the weak.

#5 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 02 August 2011 - 01:09 PM

hm,, my phantom feels the same both left and right sided, maybe you should buy my extra one?

#6 User is offline   BIGBOSS_202 

• BIGBOSS_202
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:BIGBOSS_202

Posted 05 August 2011 - 10:44 PM

View Post1-I, on 02 August 2011 - 03:24 PM, said:

I have always been amazed by a lefties manipulation of a bolt action rifel, why would you want to lesser your kind by not adapting to our dominate design?

Really I find it amazing how few objects at all in life are made for you guys.

Operator Esthetics's. If a piece of gear is uncomfortable in the shooters hand, then it's not good unless it can be modded.
JOIN THE WOODSBALL REVOLUTION

#7 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:cdrinkh20

Posted 06 August 2011 - 08:06 AM

S.O. thought of it some... RH and LH Dogleg Stocks. Remember? :)

#8 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:18 AM

I think you mean ergonomics?

Aesthetics refers to appearance not function.

Warsensor makes a folding stock for the A-5 that folds to the left, and you can remove the upper rail of the stock to make a mask well. By far the best paintball stock I've seen... although that's with the modification. I have yet to find a stock that works as good out of the box.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:27 AM

From a paintball perspective, why would it matter which side the stock folds to? And for that matter, why are you folding a stock mid-game? Folding stocks are designed for ease of transport and storage, not for running around the field flipping it back and forth.

In the real world, which side a stock folds matters in the sense of interfering with controls and/or the ejection of a brass casing, but in paintball once the marker is ready to fire the only real control you need to focus on is the trigger (that, and opening the hopper to reload if necessary, but that's far away from anywhere a folded stock would be). In the real world, you may need to grab your folded stock rifle and fire without being given the chance to unfold the stock, but in paintball you know when the game is going to start and have plenty of time to have your gear in order.

I guess I'm not seeing the need or the missing requirement in the industry.

This post has been edited by Thalion: 07 August 2011 - 10:28 AM

Member of Team Akkadian

#10 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:47 AM

View PostThalion, on 07 August 2011 - 11:27 AM, said:

From a paintball perspective, why would it matter which side the stock folds to? And for that matter, why are you folding a stock mid-game? Folding stocks are designed for ease of transport and storage, not for running around the field flipping it back and forth.

In the real world, which side a stock folds matters in the sense of interfering with controls and/or the ejection of a brass casing, but in paintball once the marker is ready to fire the only real control you need to focus on is the trigger (that, and opening the hopper to reload if necessary, but that's far away from anywhere a folded stock would be). In the real world, you may need to grab your folded stock rifle and fire without being given the chance to unfold the stock, but in paintball you know when the game is going to start and have plenty of time to have your gear in order.

I guess I'm not seeing the need or the missing requirement in the industry.

Some people like to fold it in for "close quarters" - i.e. turning corners into doorways, etc. I can see how it would help, but I just play with a stock or without.

#11 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 11:08 AM

View Postcdrinkh20, on 07 August 2011 - 12:47 PM, said:

Some people like to fold it in for "close quarters" - i.e. turning corners into doorways, etc. I can see how it would help, but I just play with a stock or without.

Going back to my other point -- a folding stock isn't going to interfere with operation of the marker, regardless of which way it folds.

So, even if someone did want to fold it in for "close quarters," it shouldn't matter from a purely functional perspective.

Then again, I play with either no stock (using the tank as one) or when I play semi I use my TM7 and keep the stock retracted fairly close to the marker so I can naturally accomplish those "close quarters" without issue. I just prefer keeping things simple and in a "don't mess with it in the field" configuration whenever possible.
Member of Team Akkadian

#12 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:22 PM

The main reason for the folding stock real world or paintball is the ability to fold it over to achieve enhanced manuverability at close quarters. That's really the whole point of any sliding, collapseable or folding stock.

And it's not like you're re-calibrating a sight. You just fold it and go, or unfold it and go. Hell you can quite easily fold or unfold it ON the go. It's not exactly equivelent to "messing" with your setup.

As for "With a stock or without". I say why choose? When the whole point of folding / fully collapseable stocks is that you don't NEED to. Unfold it you have a stock, fold it you instantly don't. Beats the hell out of changing out parts, and gives full advantage of both options AT THE SAME TIME.

Anyway, I don't see the "which way it folds" thing as being a huge issue either. But then again it is significant: If the stock folds TOWARDS your body in your shooting stance you have to make sure to hold the marker far enough away from your body for the stock to have the necessary clearance to fold. Which means you have to stop, hold the marker away from you, fold your stock then bring the marker back in to it's proper position.

The ideal is for the stock to fold AWAY from your body so that you don't need to make that accomodation, you just grab the stock and fold it without the need to adjust the position you're holding it in. Simplifies the operation.

Granted it's not super complicated to do when the stock is folding TOWARDS your body, but it's still going to be even more simple and faster when the stock is folding AWAY from your body.

Now you know... and knowing is half the battle!
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   barkingspider 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 02:53 PM

View PostBIGBOSS_202, on 02 August 2011 - 11:16 AM, said:

I'm left handed. Esthetics's are important for me when it comes to marker manipulation (handling). I find it incredible troubling that this idea isn't really taken into account when a marker or a marker accessories developed. The same goes with firearms. I like folding stocks yet I can't find one that folds to the left side of the marker or firearm. It's like, I'm forced to look for it to be custom made and that can be pretty expensive. Are their any left handed shooters that share my sentiments?

Call it a coincident, but after reading the thread you started I just ran across a Left Handed Metal SO Dogleg on ebay. Expensive...yes, but haven't made in a while... particularly metal ones. I've never seen the two combo together before...metal and LH.

#14 User is offline   cdrinkh20 

• The Dragon Reborn
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 03:47 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on 07 August 2011 - 03:22 PM, said:

The main reason for the folding stock real world or paintball is the ability to fold it over to achieve enhanced manuverability at close quarters. That's really the whole point of any sliding, collapseable or folding stock.

And it's not like you're re-calibrating a sight. You just fold it and go, or unfold it and go. Hell you can quite easily fold or unfold it ON the go. It's not exactly equivelent to "messing" with your setup.

As for "With a stock or without". I say why choose? When the whole point of folding / fully collapseable stocks is that you don't NEED to. Unfold it you have a stock, fold it you instantly don't. Beats the hell out of changing out parts, and gives full advantage of both options AT THE SAME TIME.

Anyway, I don't see the "which way it folds" thing as being a huge issue either. But then again it is significant: If the stock folds TOWARDS your body in your shooting stance you have to make sure to hold the marker far enough away from your body for the stock to have the necessary clearance to fold. Which means you have to stop, hold the marker away from you, fold your stock then bring the marker back in to it's proper position.

The ideal is for the stock to fold AWAY from your body so that you don't need to make that accomodation, you just grab the stock and fold it without the need to adjust the position you're holding it in. Simplifies the operation.

Granted it's not super complicated to do when the stock is folding TOWARDS your body, but it's still going to be even more simple and faster when the stock is folding AWAY from your body.

Now you know... and knowing is half the battle!

I was referring to how my Super Stocker has no stock but my Phantom does haha - whatever I feel like using that day I use regardless of the situation. Don't like leaving markers in staging areas.

#15 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 August 2011 - 04:58 PM

Ah I see.

I say your super stocker and your phantom should both have folding stocks! Then either one you choose will always be optimal for any situation.
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users