• You cannot reply to this topic

Tippman A-5 vs Invert Mini which is better overall Rate Topic: -----

#16 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:36 PM

yea he used a blowtorch it was great lol.

As for the rugged thing, theres a video of an A5 getting run over by a car then picked up and shot. If im running through the woods and i trip and fall, ill feel more secure holding a solid metal chunk of marker like the A5 rather than a mini. I guess thats preference. I also prefer a stock, so the mini isnt the gun for me. Marker debates con go on forever, but it comes down to preference. I would rather hold 5 pounds of knowing my marker wont break in the field than 1.2 of always thinking that it "usually" doesn't break in the field.
2 Samuel 22

#17 User is offline   murdercrow 

• Threadkiller Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:MurderCrow

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:10 PM

You can't be serious. You probably still insist freezing paintballs is dangerous too, don't you? Or that x barrel can shoot further than y. (It's the rifling) :dodgy:

OP, it sounds like you're sold on the Mini. Do it. You can always sell it and get TWO Tippmanns (or three mech BTs) if you don't like it. I've been looking at the same thing, and that'll probably be my electro of choice after I pick up my Phantom. As for your loader, I hear the Empire Prophecy is comparable if not equal, less the 30 bucks for the Dye branding.
Automaggot! Paintballin' Punk! "Purple Rambo over here...!"
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."

#18 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 02:25 PM

For every Tippmann "save" from a crazy idea I've heard about, I've seen 2 or more of them fail to function as a marker should.

If you really want the "Tippmann durability" go get a 68 carbine. They were made before Tippmann's quality took a nosedive, and the markers of that vintage are where Tippmann got their name.

The Mini (and many others like it) are made from a better grade aluminum, not the cheap metal of Tippmanns these days. I have seen a 98 receiver crack, under normal use. Then there's the issue of cyclone ratchets in the A5 and X7.

If you're looking at a Mini, feel confident and don't worry about durability.

Side note: If I could get companies to donate or seriously discount their gear, I would be happy to assemble a series of truly objective scientific tests and establish once and for all which is the most durable marker. I just don't have the cash to waste on that many markers (and I will be finding a way to make them stop working, no matter what).

My intuition and observations tell me that Tippmanns would probably fail long before some of the others out there I can think of.
Member of Team Akkadian

#19 User is offline   ger 

• Shine
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

View PostThalion, on 30 September 2010 - 05:25 PM, said:

If you really want the "Tippmann durability" go get a 68 carbine.

QFT

As for hoppers... a lot of good ones out right now. The Rotor does seem to be top dog atm, w/ good reason = it's a great loader. But the Prophecy is really nice as well. Buying quality the first time is a good idea when it comes to a hopper, so good thinking there.
ger
You bought the brand, not my allegiance.

#20 User is offline   Benaiah 

• PipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:03 AM

Im not saying that ive done scientific tests, but in my experience, at a field i see more people bent over their electros between games than tippmanns. If you get a metal ratchet and take care of the gun, you dont have any problems. This is true for most guns, but on an electro theres more to break. theyre pickier on gas, pressure, and lubrication, and are more complex to fix when they break. I own both an A5 and an Ion, i treat both well and both treat me well. But if i had to take one with me for an all day game on rough terrain in the pouring rain, it would be the A5.

But if the OP already has one then for all means, go for a mini. I was just making sure he sees all of his options before he commits.
2 Samuel 22

#21 Guest_B-Dazl_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 October 2010 - 10:59 AM

Alright, so I've been kinda watching this thread progress a little bit................

All I have to say is, I own both. I played with my A5 for 5-6 years!!! Loved it.... Couldn't figure out why I would want or need anything else..... Then I played with the Mini (with a DYE Rotor)....

Haven't played with my Tippmann since then. Yeah, my A5 is usually in my gear bag. I lend it out to people who need a gun to play with....

But I've NEVER looked back!!! Now I have an Etek 3 too.....

TOURNEY GUNS IN THE WOODS ROCK!!!

Just my opinion.............. go with what you like better..........

But the MINI is SOLID

#22 User is offline   Iron__Man 

• My boomstick is bigger than yours...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Iron_Man

Posted 06 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

i cant say if i prefer an a-5 over a mini, but i can say i prefer the tm7 over the mini for a few reasons.

1. some of you girly men might like the tiny pea shooters, but some of us like to use something with a little beef. the tm7 is cool because its small enough to be played tight, but its large enough not to feel like a toy. its not so much about the rails and being painted black. its the ergonomics, ease of maintenance, and yes, to a point, looks.

2. i like the firing selector on the side of the tm7 as opposed to the regular mini. also, the stock keeps the tank off the gun, and can be slid forward or back to play tighter or not.

3. the rails are convenient for some players. i know if i still had my nightvision monocle i'd be putting it on the tm7 if i had one. but the rails also make it easier to mount a red dot or flashlicghts.

perosnally i dont think anyone has the right to talk about how non durable a tippmann, or any marker might or might not be. except brass eagle, and autocockers... if either one messes up you better know what you're doing, or take it to someone who does... or in BE's case, throw it away. when tippies are the most popular marker in the world, yea you're gonna see more of them malfunction here and there because... there's more of them. and lets face it, alot of people who own a tippmann probbaly dont know how to fix them. ive owned and played with tippmanns and other markers for over 6 years. the largest problem ive run into is a couple of cracked powertubes, but thats when i was shooting a double trouble off of a 20 pound c02 tank. which i still do. other than that, ive worn out a couple of sears and cyclone ratchets, but ive never had to pay for macro line, or batteries, or fried a board, or upgrade a board, or accidentally pulled a wire off a board, or tried to over tune my marker and popped banjo fittings, or solenoids.

the truth people fail to realise is that yes, markers will sometimes malfunction wether you took good care of them or not. brand new markers have just as much chance of screwing up as old ones. the difference is in how much of a whiner you are about it, and how much you're willing to put foot to butt and actually fix it.

personally people can rag on tippmanns all day if they want. i still get to go to fields and shoot mine at 30 bps and be your god either way. but when you hate on them, it makes it so much more satisfying.
Posted Image Posted Image
THE DEATH BUNNIES! - We hate your face!-

#23 User is offline   War Master 

• I am the Rooster.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:War Master

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:57 AM

B18DelSolT, on 28 September 2010 - 07:33 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

I currently play woods ball right now with a Tipmman A-5, i feel i need an upgrade and i have read great reviews on the invert mini. I just have a couple questions.

1) is it worth the upgrade?
2) It uses less air so how far does the gun shoot average? like does the a-5 shoot farther?
3) Accuracy, would you say its more accurate then a a-5?
4) Power, do the balls shoot at the same rate or stronger than the a-5, a lot of people i play with dont the balls appearntly never burst on them... bs lol
4) what are mods that you guys would suggest for the gun, well after i recuperate from buying it lol.
5) what hopper would you also recommend to use with the gun?

Thanks for any info/guidance

B18DelSolT

Seems like you've got some good replies already, but I figured I'd throw in my two cents. I recently upgraded from a BT-4 Combat which is similar to an A5 to an Invert Mini and I love it.

1) I'd definitely say it is worth the upgrade. You will be able to shoot much faster which can be fun, although expensive paint-wise.
2) Paintball guns generally shoot more-or-less the same distance.
3) My Mini is fairly accurate, but again, in my experiences "It is the Indian, not the bow" - that is, the person aiming has more to do with accuracy than the gun they're shooting.
4) If everyone is chrono'd properly, everyone's gun is shooting with the same amount of power, or at the same speed. That's what the chrono is there for, to insure no one is shooting at too high of a velocity. This keeps it both safe and fair.
5) A new barrel would probably be nice - I like my Lapco. Maybe a new board somewhere down the road - I don't have much experience with the stock board as I bought my Mini used from a friend with the Virtue OLED board already installed, but I can say I love that board. There's so much you can do with it, and the screen is nice. My only complaint is the battery door doesn't fit exactly flush with the foregrip compartment where the battery is, but that isn't too big of a deal to me. You'll also need an HPA tank if you don't already have one, as a Mini CANNOT run on CO2. If you don't already have one, I'd suggest a low pressure tank because this would work better with your Mini as it runs on low pressure. Although, you wouldn't be able to use this low pressure tank with your A5 without a regulator, whereas if you had a high pressure tank you could use it with both because the Mini has its own internal low pressure regulator. You could always get a tank with an adjustable output so you could go high for your A5 and low for your Mini, but that kind of tank would cost a bit more.
6) I use a Halo hopper, I believe it is a Halo B. Like I said, I bought the gun used and the hopper was included, and all it says on the side is "Halo". But I'm sure pretty much any of the Halo hoppers would work great.

Hope that helped, and good luck with your upgrade!
D-Day 2008 German Army 352nd Panzerjager Battalion
Member of the Underground Mod Shop Special Operation Guerrillas

#24 User is offline   Syphorus 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 18 October 2010 - 09:52 PM

Biggest key difference between both markers should be whether the player prefers electronics to mechanical. If you don't mind being dependent on batteries then go for it. If you see it as a potential problem for yourself then you may want to reconsider the purchase.

It's likely that both markers will perform up to snuff in any situation.

Personally I like both electro's and mech markers but I prefer Mech when outdoors.
When ever I play with my electro markers I always bring a mech backup LOL

The reverse however is not true. I would back up mech markers with another mech or pump.

#25 User is offline   chinstrap 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kl0wn

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:15 PM

View PostWar Master, on 18 October 2010 - 01:57 PM, said:

If you don't already have one, I'd suggest a low pressure tank because this would work better with your Mini as it runs on low pressure.

Don't buy a low-pressure tank for anything. The only markers that require tanks with low-pressure output are really old Angels (and I've never even seen one of them in person, so I personally doubt their existence :ghillie:). Everything made in the past 6 years or so will work better on high-pressure output than low-pressure output.

If you have a tank putting 450 PSI or less into your regulator, it could start to starve the gun at high rates of fire. You want high pressure going into your regulator so that your marker has all the air it needs at all times.

This post has been edited by chinstrap: 21 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

Posted Image

#26 User is offline   SFC. Connell 

• *Extreme Strategist*
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SFC. Connell

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:52 PM

View PostB18DelSolT, on 30 September 2010 - 09:06 AM, said:

I just want a reliable gun. like ive read such good reviews on invert mini especially for the price range. I think i would actually like the feel more than the look. When i used to play with my spyder i love the fact of how light and small it was, now the mini is just that and a whole lot more. Thanks for all the different views. Ima look into that hopper, id rather buy once and know i have something that will last lol especially fires? lol im sold

My suggestion. Go to your local shop to actually HOLD this marker. Get a feel for it first, don't just assume your going to like the feel of it.

View PostBenaiah, on 01 October 2010 - 08:03 AM, said:

Im not saying that ive done scientific tests, but in my experience, at a field i see more people bent over their electros between games than tippmanns. If you get a metal ratchet and take care of the gun, you dont have any problems. This is true for most guns, but on an electro theres more to break. theyre pickier on gas, pressure, and lubrication, and are more complex to fix when they break. I own both an A5 and an Ion, i treat both well and both treat me well. But if i had to take one with me for an all day game on rough terrain in the pouring rain, it would be the A5.

But if the OP already has one then for all means, go for a mini. I was just making sure he sees all of his options before he commits.

Have to do it....

Reason you don't see people bent over tippman's...because the owner knows how much of a pain in the @$$ it is to field strip it due to all the tiny parts involved in it.

All in all, go out get the marker you want and the biggest piece of advice I can give you, is to get the marker in your hands and feel it out first before you go out and buy it. Good luck bro!
Feedback

She faked a funeral so people would come visit?
ROFLMAO That's both terrible and hilarious at the same time.-Pirate

#27 User is offline   Benaiah 

• PipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2010 - 01:20 PM

View PostSFC. Connell, on 24 October 2010 - 02:52 AM, said:

Reason you don't see people bent over tippman's...because the owner knows how much of a pain in the @$$ it is to field strip it due to all the tiny parts involved in it.

small parts in a tippman? the smallest part is the detent. Electros have to worry about a circuit board, eyes, solenoids, the works. i would feel more comfortable field stripping a tippman.
2 Samuel 22

#28 User is offline   Syphorus 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 24 October 2010 - 04:40 PM

I think tippmanns are a mess to field strip and clean. It's a good thing that if they are maintained before and after play they generally can withstand a whole day of play with no maintainence with the exception of barrel swabbing.
Electros aren't terribly hard to maintain based on the majority of the cleaning happens in the barrel and bolt. Since most electro's are bolt out back design this makes cleaning relatively quick but if a ball breaks in an electro cleaning must be done asap.

Personally I'm more comfortable cleaning anything so long as proper precautions are taken to not lose any parts. Tippmanns are a nightmare for me because of their clamshell designs.

#29 User is offline   Benaiah 

• PipPipPip

Posted 25 October 2010 - 07:01 AM

yea i can see the clamshell design being considered a problem. I usually do my maintenance over a mat. I just take the top clamshell of and work on the bottom one. As for electros, i could be a little biased at their difficulty because i have an ion, which isnt BOB. Im thinking i should get a BOB mod because it is a pain to take apart.
2 Samuel 22

#30 User is offline   chinstrap 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:kl0wn

Posted 25 October 2010 - 08:21 PM

View PostBenaiah, on 25 October 2010 - 10:01 AM, said:

yea i can see the clamshell design being considered a problem. I usually do my maintenance over a mat. I just take the top clamshell of and work on the bottom one. As for electros, i could be a little biased at their difficulty because i have an ion, which isnt BOB. Im thinking i should get a BOB mod because it is a pain to take apart.

The Ion is a terrible example of a modern "electro". Please stop basing your "Tippmann > electro" argument on the Ion. They're both Rube Goldberg machines.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users