Special Ops Paintball: Crack in my SP-8 receiver shell - Special Ops Paintball

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Crack in my SP-8 receiver shell right at the feedneck.

#1 User is offline   Skittlebrau 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:Skittlebrau

Posted 01 June 2007 - 01:38 PM

I just bought a used SP-8 that was supposed to be LNIB.... well hahahaha to that.....along with all the other screw ups.... (um.... there should be a board in it right???) there is a crack in the right hand upper receiver half . it is the thin piece that goes over the top of the feed tube...basically the "top" of the feed tube. Now here is my question it is going to cost me 30 bucks for a new receiver half ( Trust me...I AM going to get it out of the guy) but until I do.... how bad do you think this will affect the marker? it appears to still hold the feedneck solidly, and you can't even see it when the feedneck is taken out (no pressure spreading it) would this be glue-able?? even after I carve a new one out of the guys as...... ummm wallet. I might still like to try and save this one for a qloader install or something.... any ideas?

#2 User is offline   MillardFlemming 

• Odi et Amo.
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:MILLARD FLEMMING

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:15 PM

Qloaders don't require any modification to intstall. as for the shell, IDK
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free -John 8:32
Smart Parts Special Forces Member

I take roughly 100 shots per kill, and I like it.

#3 User is offline   slinkyaroo 

• Gravity takes over where brains leave off.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Administrators

Posted 01 June 2007 - 03:20 PM

What do you have to lose by trying to glue it? Go ahead -- or if anybody "plastic welds" around you maybe they can fix it.

Check out my b/s/t about a board if you want.

#4 User is offline   Skittlebrau 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 01 June 2007 - 07:24 PM

View PostMillardFlemming, on Jun 1 2007, 05:15 PM, said:

Qloaders don't require any modification to intstall. as for the shell, IDK

Yeah I know they don't.....but I was thinking that I might try some funky custom mount.... if I have an extra receiver shell ANYWAY..... maybe I can save myself the 60 bucks for the SP-8 brackets.....

And Slinky... I PM'ed you about the board.

This post has been edited by Skittlebrau: 01 June 2007 - 07:28 PM

#5 User is offline   heisman01 

• "the appraiser"
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:heisman01

Posted 01 June 2007 - 10:54 PM

happens all the time with the sp8s ull check aroudn i think i have some shells

#6 User is offline   Skittlebrau 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 02 June 2007 - 09:08 AM

View Postheisman01, on Jun 2 2007, 12:54 AM, said:

happens all the time with the sp8s ull check aroudn i think i have some shells

That would be super.... as long as you want less than 29.95 for them like smart parts....... ugg... I know I should have bought a another tippmann...... but the SP-8 is just so pretty.......

#7 User is offline   Punisher1979 

• PUNISHER79
  • PipPip
  • Brigade Name:Punisher1979

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

ill take that sp8 off your hands for ya!

:panzer:)

#8 User is offline   Skittlebrau 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 03 June 2007 - 02:20 PM

View PostPunisher1979, on Jun 3 2007, 11:22 AM, said:

ill take that sp8 off your hands for ya!

:laugh:)

I just got it!!!! don't want to let it go now.....although, I might consider a trade for an X7..... ummm..... heheehehe

#9 User is offline   pigtech 

• Forum Member
  • PipPip

Posted 04 June 2007 - 08:31 AM

View PostSkittlebrau, on Jun 1 2007, 04:38 PM, said:

I just bought a used SP-8 that was supposed to be LNIB.... well hahahaha to that.....along with all the other screw ups.... (um.... there should be a board in it right???)

Perhaps by LNIB they meant "Loader Neck Is Broken"

there is a crack in the right hand upper receiver half . it is the thin piece that goes over the top of the feed tube...basically the "top" of the feed tube. Now here is my question it is going to cost me 30 bucks for a new receiver half ( Trust me...I AM going to get it out of the guy) but until I do.... how bad do you think this will affect the marker? it appears to still hold the feedneck solidly, and you can't even see it when the feedneck is taken out (no pressure spreading it) would this be glue-able??

If it's holding solid, I wouldn't be too worried about it. If you want to reinforce it until you get the money from the guy, and the new body, fully disassembly the upper receiver, and remove the feedneck (otherwise it will get glued in place) and drill a small hole (smallest bit you have) at the end of the crack - then drip some thin cyano acrylate glue (AKA Crazy Glye - but the thin runny stuff, not the thick "gap filling" kind) on, and let it flow through the crack. The glue will hold it together, the hole will stop the crack from continuing. From there, you can fill the hole with epoxy or thick CA glue.

even after I carve a new one out of the guys as...... ummm wallet. I might still like to try and save this one for a qloader install or something.... any ideas?

Certainly, once you've got two bodies, you can do a conversion like this:
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/...parts/sp8_side/
Bill Mills, Technical Editor, WARPIG.com

#10 User is offline   Skittlebrau 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 04 June 2007 - 09:22 AM

View Postpigtech, on Jun 4 2007, 10:31 AM, said:

Certainly, once you've got two bodies, you can do a conversion like this:
http://www.warpig.com/paintball/technical/...parts/sp8_side/

I do think that is one pepper of a job there...... ( I already had that one in my bookmarks B) ) But I am not a huge fan of putting the Q out under the barrel.... I like it ,especially on the SP-8, right up tight against the side of the reciver... I think it look sharp and will be far superior in my style of play. but what I was thinking, was to cut the feedneck, cut down the center of the reciver so I can get a piece of pipe right next to the inner body (down low so I can still use a sight).... and put the q on LEFT side of the gun facing rearward for super fast reloads...... I'll post up some pics when I get started to show you what I mean.

Oh and as for the glue idea..... it is already completely split... so no glue will "slow" it cracking more... sorry I didn't explain it better....and I am worried that no matter what, or how much, glue I use, as soon as I put the feedneck back in it will spread it right back out... oh well I'll be trying something I guess......

#11 User is offline   Swamp Thing 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SwampThing666

Posted 04 June 2007 - 10:20 AM

Same thing happened to me and it was due to the Q loader socket mount putting preassure at the base fo the feedneck. I am going to custom mod my socket so I can mount it to one of the tac rails. The Q loader for the SP-8 in my opinon is not stable enough and tends to rotate over the feed neck or spin over the axis of the loader.

Swamp
Captain Underground Mod Shop Special Operations Guerrillas U.M.S.S.O.G.
SPPL 2nd Place Rookie Division 2008 @ Bearclaw
Executive Officer of the 352nd Panzenjagers OK D Day (2008)
CO of the 709th Artillerie Regiment, OK D Day (2009)

#12 User is offline   Knightwolf16 

• Master Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Knightwolf16

Posted 06 June 2007 - 04:29 PM

The shell on my SP8 (which I no longer have) also cracked. I tried to glue it but that didn't work. The weight of my Halo B caused the crack. I got the Q-Loader and the adapter for the SP8 (off the Q-loader site). After I put the Q loader on, I didn't have any more issues with the frame cracking.
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war." William Shakespeare
Nous sommes les seigneurs de la guerre, tremblons avant nous
The Lords of War The Lords of War on MySpace The Lords of War MSN Group Page

#13 User is offline   chiefbravo 

• Surrounded by Fakes
  • PipPip

Posted 06 June 2007 - 08:09 PM

if you need ANY parts to get it back up and running.. go to this link and you will be in heaven http://usmilitarygea...cts.php?cat=361 they have all the stock SP-8 parts and some aftermarket stuff
"If I'm shooting paint at someone, I'm happy" - Tyger

#14 User is offline   Skittlebrau 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 06 June 2007 - 09:56 PM

View Postchiefbravo, on Jun 6 2007, 10:09 PM, said:

if you need ANY parts to get it back up and running.. go to this link and you will be in heaven http://usmilitarygea...cts.php?cat=361 they have all the stock SP-8 parts and some aftermarket stuff

YES!!! I finally ran across that site yesterday... I was looking EVERYWHERE to try and find parts without having to go through Smart Parts. I like looking at prices, and figuring what i want and don't want and Smart Parts will not do that for you. you have to call them and know what you want without browsing prices or anything and I hate that. And I couldn't find ANY place that sold SP-8 parts until I found this!! Thanks for the heads up I sure could have used it a week ago!!!

Thanks again for all the help everyone...

#15 User is offline   Skittlebrau 

• Forum Newbie
  • Pip

Posted 09 June 2007 - 02:40 PM

ok here is an update.... even JB weld will not hold! the pressure of fitting the feedneck inside the opening cracks right through it..... so I have just put the feed neck in place, and filled everything to the brim with JB weld... if that doesn't hold it I don;t know what will.... but now I am out a feedneck too if it doesn't. I'll post up some before and after pics because it seems like I'm not the only one with this problem.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users