• You cannot reply to this topic

$1000+ Paintball guns I just dont get it Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   The_Red 

• The Irish Sabre
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Brigade Name:The_Red

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:59 AM

It may be ignorance, but what is the point of own a paintball gun that costs over $1000? What separates them from say, the $500 Eteks and $300 Minis?
a lot of speedballers haven't realized that their $500+ guns can, in fact fire one round at a time.

#2 User is offline   Thalion 

• Probably in the Shooters Thread...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2010 - 10:45 AM

The point is largely because you can.

There are some players who may notice the increased technological benefits that come with the extreme high end, but many would never know the difference. I just don't shoot fast enough, long enough to gain enough of the benefits that come from the 1000+ markers over a $500 one.

As I do not have any of the extremely high end markers, I know I don't know quite how much better they are. I have my 2004 AKA Viking (high end by the standards of the time, but they can still be found used for sale in the same price range as the mid-range gear today), and it works. I'm not really eager to rush into the extreme high end when my gear works.
Member of Team Akkadian

#3 User is offline   d4rkmonkey 

• that funky monkey...
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:28 AM

They just feel nicer and shoot nicer then most $500 guns. Its a luxury, thats it. Why buy an audi when there are cheaper cars that will get you to the same place just as fast? At the same time, if you look into used guns, there will be barely any difference between a old highend gun and a brand new one.

This post has been edited by d4rkmonkey: 25 December 2010 - 01:23 PM

Posted Image
Flickr
Bitches and guns, this is every man's dream. I don't want to go home, where I'm just an ordinary human being...

#4 User is offline   blackrain 

• Sophomore Member
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:blackrain's aftermath

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:17 PM

Ive been playing for 23 yrs and haven't found a need for them yet.
Later,
Blackrain:)

#5 User is offline   DZ Unit-1 

• Cacophony Pony
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:DZ Unit-1

Posted 25 December 2010 - 01:30 PM

Largely just technological features introduced and implemented in most of these markers, say for your example, in the planet eclipse line up, etek is just a cut down ego, without the lcd screen feature, QEV (the significant part that players will often identify as being the difference), ease of use instruction, different materials for various parts of the marker (all aluminum frame versus a composite frame) and so forth. Some players want an option, and they have that opportunity with variants of planet eclipse line ups, and other high end brands. While the Etek is QEV lacking, players think this makes the Etek a bad marker...NONSENSE.

As an owner of all of which you've stated above, there really isn't much of a difference as far as feel and play, it's the optional things that come with it, that make things more convenient for players in the fields

Some speculate that that some markers can't keep up with higher end ones. I'm not entirely sure about that rumor, but for the most part, in the hands of very experienced players, they can use what they have at the time, and be very effective with it in play no matter what they're using.

so in the end, it's playing with a cut down ego versus and ego with better stuff in it, BUT it's ULTIMATELY up to the player whom ever is wielding the marker at the time.

anyways, me last two pennies in my piggy bank =P
Posted Image
"and DZ, I love that pic so much. If you were a girl, and not just a dude who looked like a girl, I would kiss you." mrwaterbuffalo, 1:17 AM "DZ, what are you?" -SnV- "He are legend." -Veritech Squad-

#6 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 25 December 2010 - 03:02 PM

a players game is 95% the player and 5% the gun. the marker does make a difference, like say between an 98 and an ego 11. But the player can determine the outcome much more than the gun can. Like it was said, the high end guns are a luxury. They may shoot quieter, more efficiently, and have less kick, but at the end of the day the etek still shoots paint at 280 fps, and thats what matters.
2 Samuel 22

#7 User is offline   Shipwreck! 

• The Mad Scientist
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:SHIPWRECK!

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:09 PM

Yeah, no thanks. My broke old Tippmann shoots slow as hell and has no cool space age features, but it'll shoot you none the less. I only need to shoot you once to tag you out, I personally would rather not spend a case of paint doing it haha!

I don't know what the difference is myself, and I don't care. Unless it sprouts legs and runs around the field shooting everyone for me, it's not worth a G.

The first time I played I didn't know anyone else who did and didn't know any places where people played. So I convinced a friend of mine to buy a wal mart brass eagle and we just found an empty field and shot it out. So it was my fresh out of the box semi auto Tippmann with a 200 ball hopper, vs. his pump action brass eagle with a 15 ball hopper. In the end, I ran out of paintballs real quick while missing him, then he turned around and basically beat me up with his brass eagle, I was like, "Wait, no, I'm out of paintballs!!!"

That said, unless you have so much money that you can blow $1000 on any given day for no reason beyond, "Cause I feel like it." Don't waste your time or money on the high end markers. Anything that shoots a paintball at all, will work just as good or better, if you use it right.
"If they wanna be asinine about this, we'll just be asinine right back."
A5 Evolver!

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:22 PM

View PostShipwreck!, on 25 December 2010 - 05:09 PM, said:

That said, unless you have so much money that you can blow $1000 on any given day for no reason beyond, "Cause I feel like it." Don't waste your time or money on the high end markers. Anything that shoots a paintball at all, will work just as good or better, if you use it right.

This part I disagree with.

Yes, the player makes the game, not the gun. That's not the part I'm arguing with.

What I am saying is that the gun, with the right player holding it, can make a difference.

Example -- if you take two players of identical skill level (taking the "player" factor out of it), the electropneumatic is going to beat the pump guy almost every time. It's going to happen.

I love playing pump and/or pistol, but I walk away with more eliminations when I use my old Viking. Did my skills somehow improve? No, let's be honest - my gear did (and as a surprise for you, I didn't blow through a whole case either, so it's not just spewing paint all over).

Now, there is a balance point where the price keeps going up and the performance boost doesn't go up nearly as much. Honestly, that point is somewhere around the mid-range markers. An Etek 3 performs slightly worse than an Ego 11, but it seriously outshines the $200 Tippmann (assuming an A5 or a slightly modified 98) in every way.

And in my opinion, for most players the price difference per performance for the $1000+ guns isn't worth it. It is for some, and let them spend the money to do it. For me, the mid-range stuff is ideal (though to be fair, back in its day the Viking was "high end," just not $1000 high end)

When shooting semi, I'll take my Viking over a blowback semi any day. And I'll do better with it than I will with a rental 98.
Member of Team Akkadian

#9 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:12 PM

For the most part, markers fall into 4 categoric representations.

Low End
Middle range
High End
Super-guns

High end is very close to super guns, but they are still sometimes 600 - 800$ apart.

For the most part, High end markers range anywhere under 1000$ ish.

But the superguns are like the Super cars of today, Sure many cars which eclipse the 500,000$ mark, ( example the Mercedes Maclaren SLR )
No its not THAT much faster around a track then the avarage 200,000 or 150,000 High end Track cars.
But Becuase it is just that little bit more, it costs so much more.

Shaving 5 seconds off a track time might take you 50,000$ in a car. But to cut another 1 second off. Expect to pay another 50,000 for that one second.

likewise in the paintball market, making a marker get 1700 shots off a 45/6800, have a consistent valve, a good anti-chop system. and durable. might cost 700$. But to make it that sliver better, your dropping another 500$ for that little few ounces, the extra 200 shots, the better anti-chop. ect ect.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 25 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

#10 User is offline   The_Red 

• The Irish Sabre
  • PipPip

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:19 PM

Yeah, no thanks. My broke old Tippmann shoots slow as hell and has no cool space age features, but it'll shoot you none the less. I only need to shoot you once to tag you out, I personally would rather not spend a case of paint doing it haha!

These two lines sum up my entire style of play in paintball. B)
a lot of speedballers haven't realized that their $500+ guns can, in fact fire one round at a time.

#11 User is offline   Eskimo 

• Igloo Member #1
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Mime

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:26 PM

View PostThe_Red, on 25 December 2010 - 05:19 PM, said:

These two lines sum up my entire style of play in paintball. B)

You only need one paintball to hit sure, But it gets to a point where spending an extra 200 or 300$ from your base tippmann starts to make sense,

Example: many markers above 200-300$ go into the "Space age/speedball" type, but with a slim, centerfeed marker, which has a good trigger, consistent valve.
( hell a mini costs 300 or a G4) you can see where it starts to come together. remove a bulky off set hopper marker from someone and replace it with a lighter, easier to manipulate marker, and you can watch their play elevate VERY quickly in a short time.

This post has been edited by Eskimo: 25 December 2010 - 05:35 PM

#12 User is offline   The_Red 

• The Irish Sabre
  • PipPip

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:26 PM

thats true. Now that i think about it, i have another 300 onto my A5, but i do wish that they'd make more "Space Ages" with single triggers. Namely because if they can get over 12 bps, they will and i loathe people who just keep shooting at that high a rate until they shoot someone out. IMHO, its a bad way to paintball.

#13 User is offline   Thalion 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:44 PM

View PostThe_Red, on 25 December 2010 - 07:26 PM, said:

thats true. Now that i think about it, i have another 300 onto my A5, but i do wish that they'd make more "Space Ages" with single triggers. Namely because if they can get over 12 bps, they will and i loathe people who just keep shooting at that high a rate until they shoot someone out. IMHO, its a bad way to paintball.

Debate the form all you like, but that's a matter of the player and not the gun.

I rarely shoot more than a 3-5 shot burst walking the trigger. But you know what, in the rare time i really need that kind of firepower (when would you need it? Oh, maybe when a horde comes over the hill and you need to lay down suppression fire to cover a retreat) I'm glad I have it as an option.

Taking away the double trigger, and that capability goes away.

I still like single triggers for some things (like my pump). But there's plenty of use for a walkable trigger without actually shooting ropes of paint every time.
Member of Team Akkadian

#14 User is offline   The_Red 

• The Irish Sabre
  • PipPip

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:49 PM

thats true. If you're outnumbered, release the kraken. i'll agree with you on that.

#15 User is offline   Benaiah 

• If you dont get it, youre Sofa Kingdom
  • PipPipPip
  • Brigade Name:Benaiah2320

Posted 25 December 2010 - 07:04 PM

I played one day with my A5. I was doing well, getting maybe one or two before getting tagged out. In the third game, i fell and broke the hopper (stupid rock....) So i borrowed a buddy's 06 ego. It was amazing. the rest of the day i cut swaths through opponents. Using movement and cover tactics i learned by playing with a blowback against other "speedball" guns, i was able to wipe the field with the added firepower. Im not saying that the gun made that happen, but having the accuracy by volume that allowed me to suppress the opposition and even get eliminations by being able to put more balls on target. I bought that ego after 2 games, and i love it. It can rip strings, but i never use that in a game unless i have to. Usually i go with a couple shot bursts when i snap shoot or am pinning someone. But when you come over that ridge and see 4 people staring back at you, its nice to have the ability to unleash on them. That being said, i have also snap shot someone laning me with a NT 10 with my A5.

The best way to describe it is with an exponential curve:

Posted Image

The y axis is the advantage gained, and the x axis denotes the performance of the marker (pretty much only semi-auto...pumps are a different story). As you can see, the difference between a 98 and an A5 wont be a huge difference (the first flatish part), but the difference between an A5 and an Etek would be huge (the steep middle part). but when you compare the Etek and a 2011 Ego, theres not a huge advantage gained (although i believe the Ego 11 to be the most technologically advanced, higest performance, and most awesomest marker on the market today).

So unless you intend to play tournament speedball at the highest level, and your skills are to the point that the only improvement you could make is getting a better gun, the $1000+ markers are not worth the money.
2 Samuel 22

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users